Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Need help with a project

Discuss all your electronics engineering related technical problems and other questions pertaining to design problems in any field of Electrical/Electronics/Computer Hardware

Moderator: pebe

Need help with a project

Postby nix1776 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm trying to create a circuit that will create an audio output sounding similar to a whack..whack..whack sound. Looking roughly for a 200hz with a 10 pulse per second interval. Need a fairly loud output and the whole think has to be DC powered and be portable. I have some basic electronics experience but this is beyond my level. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
nix1776

Postby I_Daniel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:00 pm

What about a Metronome circuit using a 555 IC. You would only have to replace the timing capacitor to change the beat rate or even use it as is ?

I am a firm believer in innovation and using existing things to use in a different application to reach my goals.
Even a 555 IC tester could work if the LED's is/are replaced with a small speaker(s).
The square-wave output would probably sound more like cluck cluck or thunk thunk. Whack Whack sounds painful and conjures up a smarting bottom.

I would really like to help more but I do not have a program to draw circuits.
A simple go-no go 555 test circuit would would be.
Timing side:
R1x1k Ohm from +(positive supply) to pin 7. R2x1M Ohm from pin 7 to pins 6+2; C1x4.7 Mfd from pin 6+2 to -(negative supply)
Output :
R3x330 Ohm in series with LED from + to pin 3. From pin 3 R4x330 Ohm in series with D2 - LED to - (negative supply)
Other pins
pins 4+8 to +(positive supply); pin 1 to - (Negative supply)
Power supply : 9 Volt battery
Comment:
To vary the beat R2 can be replaced with a 470K resistor in series with a 470 k variable resistor. The variable pot is used to change the charging time of C1 and thus the frequency of the output.
If this is built using a small veroboard and an IC socket then it can be used to check any 555 IC - which is the original purpose !
If the beat is too slow make C1 2.2 Mfd (The smaller C1 the higher the frequency)
I_Daniel

Re: Need help with a project

Postby kasamkhansk4 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Also, I really believe that troubleshooting is the best way to learn. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a little difficulty getting something to work right, and after troubleshooting for a while, I know way more about the task than if it had gone smoothly the first time. Often, it ends up better because I’ve learned more about the true potential and advanced features or whatever.
kasamkhansk4

Return to EE quiz questions & problems