Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

V5 LifeP04 BMS

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

V5 LifeP04 BMS

Postby AJM » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Hello all,
I am looking for any assistance you might be able to provide on these issues below.

Have a couple of questions regarding the 2 pictures attached.
1- Is this an si2333 MOSFET ?
I assume they are replaceable.

2- Does this look burnt?
Numbers are missing and it looks overheated?
I assume they are replaceable.

BMS question 2.jpg
BMS question 2.jpg (339.14 KiB) Viewed 12906 times

BMS question.jpg
BMS question.jpg (305.05 KiB) Viewed 12906 times
AJM

Re: V5 LifeP04 BMS

Postby AJM » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:23 pm

I have determined that in the second picture , the white one is ok, has the same values as the others.
Still looking for comments on the first picture.

Thanks,
AJM

Postby Relayer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:27 am

Hello AJM,
The A19T are equivalent to AO3401A and AO3401 Mosfet Transistors and are available from China.
Here is the URL: Equivalent

Is there any reason why you may suspect those components as being faulty?
The Mosfets are there to drive the red LEDs. I doubt they would have any other function.

As for the second picture, you've surmised the component is fine. I have to agree. It seems during the factory assembly process of packaging the resistor, the component wasn't packaged correctly, and it was actually placed upside-down when the resistor was dropped into the packaging pocket.

What symptoms are you experiencing with the circuit that's prompted you to take a close look at the PCB?

Take care.
Regards,
Relayer
Relayer

Postby AJM » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks for the reply,

This is a new BMS and when I hooked it up to the battery one of the L.E.D's will not come on when balancing.
It has never come on once, I checked its voltage (B0-B1, B1-B2, etc) and it was high and out of range from the others.
I drained that cell down with a bulb several times but it keeps climbing back up and the L.E.D. remains off.
Contacted the manufacturer and they suggested a possible dry joint, re soldered the spots they mentioned to no affect.
The manufacturer said they would send me one of those transistors to replace the suspect one with, so I was trying to learn what part it is before it arrived. These are very tiny and I really dont think I would be able to replace it properly without damage to the board, I do not have great soldering skills and have never undertaken this kind of repair before.
I am a Heavy Duty mechanic, compared to the stuff I work on this is micro surgery (to me).
AJM

Postby Relayer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:02 am

Thanks for the reply

You're welcome :)

My apologies for the late reply. Of late I've been having major lower back issues and sitting down in front of my PC would have made it worse.
I have to admit, I'm not familiar at all with this BMS, so if I sound a bit ignorant, you'll know why. :lol:

Provided you have a reasonably fine tip on your soldering iron, you should be able to replace the suspect Mosfet without too much difficulty.
A word of warning at this point. Due to the small size of the transistor and the pads its joined to, excessive heat from a soldering iron can matter considerably compared to through-hole components which are usually more bulkier and more heat tolerant. You MUST be conservative in the heat department. Its easier said than done, but you have to try and make a conscious effort, otherwise you risk lifting up pads and damaging the new transistor.

There are a few choices on how to remove the transistor, each has its own dangers, so I'll try suggesting the better options and leave the final choice up to you.
(1) If you have a fine pair of side cutters, you can actually nip each leg where it enters the Mosfet's substrate. But this has to be done extremely carefully, as to prevent you accidentally ripping up the appropriate pad the leg is joined to as you squeeze the cutter handles together. (If you want to go down this track, let me know, and I'll do my best in explaining on how to do it. The next option is more tedious, though a more safer alternative).

(2) If you can get a hold of an Exacto knife or a cutting blade: Just about anything with a flat edge that you could slightly slide under the transistor to use as leverage.
You're going to also need the aid of a magnifying glass, and unless you're an octopus, you're going to require the aid of a friend to help you. :lol:

Here's how to proceed:
Slide the flat edge under the offending Mosfet, just enough that you're able to lever it up. Don't apply pressure yet.
Place the tip of your iron on one of the transistor legs for a few seconds, then gently apply pressure upwards with the blade so that part of the Mosfet lifts up without any resistance. Lift it up clear enough that the solder no longer contacts the leg. Do the same for the other legs of the transistor.
If you encounter undue resistance, regardless of the amount of heat you're applying, then the Mosfet itself has been glued to the PCB. This is going to make it a tad harder to remove.
In this case you'll have to obtain a needle that you can hook into the leg of the transistor, and lift the leg away from the solder joint, not the actual transistor itself as stated above. You may find this method a fair bit harder and you may end up damaging a leg of the Mosfet, so make sure this is the only one you have to replace.
Once all the legs have been lifted clear, place the knife blade under the transistor and try lifting it off the PCB. A bit of brute force may be needed, as the glues used are fairly tough. Unfortunately heat cannot be used to melt the glue, as the stuff is made to be heat resistant.
If all went well and you have the transistor off the PCB, you now have to clean the area for the placement of the new one.
Try to remove as much of the remaining solder from the pads where the transistor was located. Apply a bit of heat on each pad and do a slight brushing to one side, away from the other pads.
Pick a pad that has the most solder remaining on it compared to the others. That's the one you need to solder first.
Get yourself a fairly fine tipped pair of tweezers and use them to place the new transistor on the now vacant pads of the original.
Place the tip of your soldering iron between the chosen pad and the leg of the transistor and let the solder melt and allow the leg to drop slightly and contact the pad. You may have to keep the heat on for slightly longer so you can align the transistor so each leg is approximately over their corresponding pads. If you feel you're taking longer than 3 to 4 seconds for the alignment, then remove the iron and wait a minimum of a minute for the transistor to cool completely. Once cooled, try again.
If all went well, you still have to wait a minimum of one minute for the heat to dissipate completely from the transistor.
Use the tweezers now to put very slight pressure on the top of the transistor. Place your soldering iron, once again, between the pad and leg of the second joint you need to do, and allow it to drop slightly, though depending on the amount of solder on the last pad, this may be limiting. Once again, allow up to a minute for everything to cool.
For the last leg, place your tweezers just above the last leg, but don't make any contact. Apply heat to the pad, then apply slight pressure to the leg so it makes contact with the pad.
You should be done.
If your finished work looks a tad unsightly and the transistor isn't lined up like the others, leave it. The main thing is, if the transistor is making correct contact, then the rest is just cosmetic. I doubt you'll get a PCB assembly inspector with a warrant to enter your home and check up on your work. :lol:

I hope the above helps, and please, let me know how you get on.
Take care and GOOD LUCK!!! :wink:
Regards,
Relayer
Relayer

Return to Electronics newbies