Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

selfmade esr meter

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

selfmade esr meter

Postby savetheday » Sun May 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi everyone
I found it on the internet a esr meter,i'm going to do it my self. It's going to be all from scratch.
But some of the components i couldn't find it.
For example What is resonator ? (3.58MHz crystal resonator with internal capacitors) Image is there any replacement for that?Is it possible to use something like 4 or 6 Mhz?

And what is (miniature pushbutton switch with cap)?Are we able to use normal switchbuttons?

for Z86E0412 microchip, do we need to load some programms for that?

By the way it's called blue esr meter http://www.flippers.com/pdfs/BlueESR.pdf
Thanks.
savetheday

Re: selfmade esr meter

Postby pebe » Tue May 12, 2015 11:25 am

It's a ceramic resonator (works the same as a crystal) that is used in an oscillator to provide the timing for the micro controller. It is fundamental to the operation of the ESR tester so its value cannot be changed. It's a common component and you can get one here:

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main ... ts_id=2453
pebe

Postby savetheday » Fri May 15, 2015 9:28 pm

I found this guy on internet parts. He sells some parts like
(Z86E0412 PSG 1866 programmed microcontroller with MKII Firmware) and (3.58MHz resonator w/ 2 leads) he also sells EVB Esr meter but i think it doesn't look good like Blue Esr or Bob Parkers.
Thanks.
savetheday

Postby savetheday » Sun May 17, 2015 11:39 pm

i brought that 2 components.Could we able to print the schematics from pdf file ?OR because of printing size issues i need to rebuild in kicad same pcb schematic?
What about instead of three pin 3.58MHz crystal resonator, two pin 3.58MHz resonator?
Last edited by savetheday on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
savetheday

Postby pebe » Mon May 18, 2015 11:49 am

Hi,

In your other thread you said you had made the ‘Elektor’ ESR meter.

Then in this thread you have bought components for the ‘EVB’ ESR, and the Z86 micro from that seller will be loaded with software for the ‘EVB’.
But you are also talking about the ‘Blue’ ESR meter.

So which ESR are you talking about in the next quote?
i brought that 2 components.Could we able to print the schematics from pdf file ?OR because of printing size issues i need to rebuild in kicad same pcb schematic?

The circuit (schematic) is already given in the link you gave for the ‘Blue’ one. Are you referring to making the PCB? If so I would advise against it. If you are going to make this meter I would strongly advise buying at least the PCB and programmed micro; if you’re a newbie it’s not competitive to make the PCB, and you probably won’t to able to buy the micro's software on its own.
What about instead of three pin 3.58MHz crystal resonator, two pin 3.58MHz resonator?

The ‘Blue’ model uses a 2pin resonator, anyway.
pebe

Postby savetheday » Mon May 18, 2015 5:03 pm

pebe wrote:Hi,

In your other thread you said you had made the ‘Elektor’ ESR meter.

Then in this thread you have bought components for the ‘EVB’ ESR, and the Z86 micro from that seller will be loaded with software for the ‘EVB’.
But you are also talking about the ‘Blue’ ESR meter.

Hi pebe
First of all thank you for your kind answers.
Blue Esr and EVB Esr meter aren't they same as Bob Parkers? I read some where they all new version of Bob Parkers licensee 1997 first example.But i don't know that exactly.I thought they are the same.So When i get the Z86E0412 microcontroller it would work with Blue Esr meter pcb! ??

pebe wrote:So which ESR are you talking about in the next quote?

If it's possible some thing as same as Blue Esr meter that i'm going to do it all my self :)

pebe wrote:The circuit (schematic) is already given in the link you gave for the ‘Blue’ one. Are you referring to making the PCB? If so I would advise against it. If you are going to make this meter I would strongly advise buying at least the PCB and programmed micro; if you’re a newbie it’s not competitive to make the PCB, and you probably won’t to able to buy the micro's software on its own.
The ‘Blue’ model uses a 2pin resonator, anyway.
Then i should buy Blue Esr Kit otherwise it doesn't make any sense.
savetheday

Postby pebe » Mon May 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi,
I have not seen a circuit for the 'EVB' tester, so cannot tell if it is the same as 'Blue'.
But if the components are identical and the same micro ports go to the same components then they may be the same. But the EVB seller only claimed that his ciruit was as a result of his co-operation with Bob Parker, so there may be subtle differences. His site has a 'Call me' button so why not ask him?
Then i should buy Blue Esr Kit otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

Yes, I agree. Buying the kit makes very good sense.
pebe

Postby savetheday » Thu May 28, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi pebe

I have a last question :) .So this esrmeter works with 3 pins.I thing i better use 3 pins resonator.
Is it convenient to use 3 pins like CST3.58MGW300A? If i'm not wrong only differents with 2 pins,3 pins resonator has integrated caps.Thats all ! ?
My question is "Which one would you recommend me to choose under below?"

CST3.58MGW300A
ceramic resonator CST3_58MGW300A.JPG
ceramic resonator CST3_58MGW300A.JPG (16.37 KiB) Viewed 37339 times

CST3,58MGW
ceramic resonator 3,58 Mhz 3pol with cap CST3_58MGW.JPG
ceramic resonator 3,58 Mhz 3pol with cap CST3_58MGW.JPG (74.29 KiB) Viewed 37339 times

Aren't they similar?

By the way: i ask whom sells EVB "he said that it should work fine.when i use MKII Australian circuit .For Blue esr I might compare both circuits.Because MKII has the same firmware with mine.
Thanks a lot.
Last edited by savetheday on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savetheday

Postby pebe » Fri May 29, 2015 3:11 pm

A 2pin resonator is often used as an oscillator, but needs a capacitor of about 22pf-27pf connected to ground at each end of it. A 3pin resonator has those two caps built in and connected to the centre pin.

From the PCB layout it can be seen that that circuit requires a 3pin resonator. Looking at the two resonators you have shown, in the absence of any more information there is nothing to choose between them, so you can use either one.
pebe

Postby savetheday » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:15 pm

savetheday wrote:Hi everyone
And what is (miniature pushbutton switch with cap)?Are we able to use normal switchbuttons?

I saw it in youtube it's possible to reset with that pushbutton probes to zero.What kind of pushbutton is that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toq3msUeQ40&start=64
thanks.
savetheday

Postby pebe » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:35 am

From the PCB layout diagram, it appears to be a right angled push button like this one:
http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main ... cts_id=859
It gives a momentary closed contact as long as the button is pressed.
pebe

Postby savetheday » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:43 am

Hi again.
Sorry for my late reply.Finally, I have almost finished my Blue ESR Meter.First of all I have learned how to etch pcb's and then bought cheap components.
After all I have a working Blue ESR Meter.But when I touch two test leads together or test caps it automatically shuts off.What could be the reason?
Attachments
IMG_6527-1.jpg
IMG_6527-1.jpg (185.85 KiB) Viewed 36112 times
IMG_6531-1.jpg
IMG_6531-1.jpg (250.26 KiB) Viewed 36112 times
IMG_6526-1.jpg
IMG_6526-1.jpg (186.46 KiB) Viewed 36112 times
savetheday

Postby savetheday » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:42 pm

savetheday

Postby savetheday » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Ok i did it.First i assume that one of the cap is bad but I read one more time pdf file and I have to adjust 9V battery with VR1 VR2 so its working now.
Thanks.
savetheday

Return to Electronics newbies