Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

circuit check/inspection request, will it work?

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

circuit check/inspection request, will it work?

Postby Canobi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 am

Hi all

I'm badly colour blind and couldn't get into the engineering classes at collage, but I have a passion for tech and it's applications so didn't let that stop me from trying.

I possess some mean soldering skills, including surface mount, and as such have managed to spend most of my working life in the electronics industry as a solder monkey in the hope that I could learn as I went along, and regularly immerse myself in datasheets in the hope that some of it will eventually make sense and stick (which oddly works to a degree with a bit of research on the side).

Still early days for me yet, but I'm getting there, and finding this place today is the cherry on the cake for me :)

Anyway, I recently got into lightsaber making and wanted to include an illuminated pushbutton switch for my next one (I also make replica props and costumes as a hobby) I'm pretty sure this circuit is right, but a niggle keeps nagging, could someone have a look at the attached sketch and let me know if it would work ok?

I'm trying to figure out a way so it only lights up when the switch is on for the main LED far left.

Tried working out how to put the button on live, but the resistors end up in series and I'm sure it would effect the circuit in some way, but just not sure how (ideally i want the 1R8 1w by the battery end to help disperse the heat buildup, though it won't be running for long periods anyway, maybe 15mins tops at a time).

Thanks for looking :)
Attachments
tmp_IMG_20140402_105721-45155315.jpg
tmp_IMG_20140402_105721-45155315.jpg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 9564 times
Canobi

Re: circuit check/inspection request, will it work?

Postby pebe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 pm

If the two long leads of the switch connect together when it is on, and the two short leads are to the LED indicator, with the anode of the LED to the 33ohm resistor, then yes, the circuit is OK.
pebe

Re: circuit check/inspection request, will it work?

Postby Canobi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:11 pm

pebe wrote:If the two long leads of the switch connect together when it is on, and the two short leads are to the LED indicator, with the anode of the LED to the 33ohm resistor, then yes, the circuit is OK.

Thanks for confirming that for me pebe :)
Canobi

Return to Electronics newbies