Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

LED , Meanwell , Typhon and a circuit question

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Re: LED , Meanwell , Typhon and a circuit question

Postby oreo57 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:03 am

pebe wrote:Are you using the 'Zeitnitz' software?, because when I tried it I could get a display anything like yours.

no, I temporarily have given up on downloading it, short of shutting off Bitdefender it really doesn't like that page.. ;)
I'm sure there is nothing wrong w/ it.. just found something a tiny bit more expedient..
http://zelscope.com/
.. The software is called "Zelscope" and is a try before buying package..and I only needed it temporarily...
figured it was just a "branded' Zeitnitz"..

Also I had a lot of trouble using "line in" and have switched to mic in and using a mono plug...

and I'm not sure why I haven't blown the soundcard .. yet..since I fed it direct..
damage to your hadrware and/or data that can potentially occur. The typical input voltage should be about 1 volt AC at the line-in jack of the sound card, so a voltage divider or a buffer amplifier is highly recommended.
oreo57

Postby pebe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Different software - but same end result. But for sure the frequency is about 1kHz.

We already established that the load on the 10V output of the Typhon was 2.68mA. That equates to a resistance of 3.7kohms.

To make an LC filter with an impedance of that value at 1kHz you would need a 0.5H inductor, and it would need a low DC resistance. Unless you could find one or wind one, then the secondary winding of a small mains supply transformer might work.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort and I would go for the op-amp solution.
pebe

Postby oreo57 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:22 pm

pebe wrote:Different software - but same end result. But for sure the frequency is about 1kHz.

We already established that the load on the 10V output of the Typhon was 2.68mA. That equates to a resistance of 3.7kohms.

To make an LC filter with an impedance of that value at 1kHz you would need a 0.5H inductor, and it would need a low DC resistance. Unless you could find one or wind one, then the secondary winding of a small mains supply transformer might work.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort and I would go for the op-amp solution.

I can wind coils.. did it for speaker crossovers and one of my cookbooks has the formula's...
As to the effort well that is now academic (I will still prefer this avenue for "sport") since I bought new 5V PWM Meanwell drivers and am in the process of acquiring the power supplies.. (for space I want seperate PS for each driver)..

Bottom line.. regardles of effort I still want to see if my effort is "viable".. As of now the LC circuit works but w/ little stepping... seems Like a smallish hurdle..even if it takes a big choke..
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=255-036
Specifications: • Inductance: 0.50 mH • Wire gauge: 20 AWG • DC resistance: 0.49 Ohms • Dimensions: 1.30" x 0.60" • Power handling: 200 watts RMS.

Thanks for your time..and will get back to this
oreo57

Postby pebe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:18 pm

You need 0.5Henry -not 0.5milliHenry
pebe

Postby oreo57 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:50 am

pebe wrote:You need 0.5Henry -not 0.5milliHenry

THANKS for th help.. I have to shelf this for a little while.. Will (hopefully) get back to it in a few weeks...
Again thanks..
oreo57

Postby pebe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:22 am

You're welcome :wink:
pebe

Previous

Return to Electronics newbies