Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

dome light delay circuit

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

dome light delay circuit

Postby walnutron » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:23 am

Hi,
Several years ago I purchased an electronic device for my car that would delay the dome light after door was shut; similar to the way the newer cars operate. Unfortunately after a few days of operation, the unit would fail. I would like to build one, but I don't know what the circuit would look like. The purchased one had some cool features; 1) after the door was closed, the dome light would stay lit for about 20 seconds and then slowly fade off 2) if during the 20 second delay the ignition switch was turned to start, the dome light would immediately go to the fade off. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ron.
walnutron

Re: dome light delay circuit

Postby oreo57 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:07 pm

22,000 uF capacitor in parallel would probably work..
oreo57

Re: dome light delay circuit

Postby walnutron » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:33 am

Thanks for your input, I believe the capacitor would probably work in some instances. But after the vehicle was started, I would want it to fade out immediately. A capacitor wouldn't operate that way. Is there possibly a circuit that's been archived that I could build? Grateful for any help. Ron.
walnutron

Return to Electronics newbies