Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Electricaly stimulated bone fracture repair

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Electricaly stimulated bone fracture repair

Postby dvhenry » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 am

Hi, electronics was a hobby of mine about 30 years ago, I'm a bit rusty.
I would like to make a device (preferably operated by a small 9V battery) that outputs a 60KHz sine wave at 5V peak to peak continuously.
Output voltage can vary by up to 10% and frequency by up to 5% total, amperage required is minimal, as one of these small 9V batteries is intended to last 24 hours continuous use.

I know how to do something similar with a 555 timer, but not sine wave.

If someone could point in the right direction, a suitable chip and it's details, with perhaps a clue or two on the wiring needed to achieve my aim I would be very grateful.
dvhenry

Re: Electricaly stimulated bone fracture repair

Postby pebe » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:53 pm

I would suggest a Wien bridge oscillator using an op-amp with diode stabilized output is probably the easiest to make. See Fig 1 here:

http://www.edn.com/design/test-and-meas ... ntiometers

Don't be put off by the 'digital pots'. Just calculate the values you need and use fixed resistors. Frequency-wise it would be very stable, and the diode output stabilization would allow for the battery voltage falling with use.

If your battery could be made up of 6xAAA cells then you could get a centre tap for the 'ground' connection. If not then you will need a second op-amp wired to give you 1/2 rail voltage. To allow for falling battery voltage, use an op-amp that will operate down to a 6V supply level and has a full rail-to-rail output that can handle your load.

Come back if you have any queries.
pebe

Re: Electricaly stimulated bone fracture repair

Postby dvhenry » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:18 am

Thank you, This should do the job perfectly. Also 6 AAA batteries is fine, and would cost less to run.

Much appreciated
dvhenry

Return to Electronics newbies