Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

2N2222A Upgrade

Enquire about part equivalents and difficult-to-find parts here. This is the forum to discuss everything about electronic parts and components.

Moderator: pebe

2N2222A Upgrade

Postby duffer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:46 am

I am using a 2n2222a in a circuit described on YouTube. Please Google lidmotor MAGGIE and the Snake Egg to see it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TZj5y7bk94

Its a bedini type motor circuit.

I'm using 9 volt on the input.

I am trying to squeeze a little more power out of it but the 2n2222a is beginning to run a little warm. I will try using a heat sink and see how well that works.

Does anyone know how to select a transistor that can handle two or three times the power to use in this circuit?

Thanks
duffer

Re: 2N2222A Upgrade

Postby pebe » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:28 pm

I don't know what a 'bedini motor' circuit is. I only know of someone called 'Bedini' who deludes people into thinking that they can get energy for free.

The base current of the 2N2222A is only limited by the (unknown) resistance of the 'B' winding. There are no coil details. The circuit is rubbish!
pebe

Re: 2N2222A Upgrade

Postby duffer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Correct, free energy and perpetual motion are complete nonsense.

On the other hand, here's a link to the circuit I am using http://dickbrom.com/circuits/snakeeggspinner.jpg .

The diagram doesn't show the details of how the coils are wound, so here they are.
Coil A approximately 400 turns of 30 gauge wire
Coil B approximately 400 turns of 30 gauge wire
The coils are bifilar wound on a plastic spool 3/4 inch inner diameter, about 3/4 inch long. The coils are air core.
The magnet is a neodymium disk mounted on a brass shaft.

In operation the magnet spins up to about 5,000 rpm on 9 volts input but I want to go a lot higher.
Unfortunately the 2N2222A begins to heat up after about five minutes.

That's why I am looking for a substitute.
Any help would be appreciated
duffer

Return to Electronic Parts forum