Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

1.5 k dual gang antilog potentiometers

Enquire about part equivalents and difficult-to-find parts here. This is the forum to discuss everything about electronic parts and components.

Moderator: pebe

1.5 k dual gang antilog potentiometers

Postby jamaicajeff » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:19 pm

I have a problem. My pro audio board for my computer needs 4 audio input control pots but the unit is >12 years old and the manufacturer no longer have these repair parts. I have spent hours on the internet without success. Allied, Mouser, Newark, are some of the parts suppliers that I have searched out without success. I can get dual gang 1K antilog made from State Electronics but at a minimum of 5ea @ $30.31 a peice with a $50.00 set up fee which is quite costly. I can also find dual gang linear pots @ 1K from Allied which will solder into the PCB board and are a good assembly match but I am not sure how these would work out in controling the balanced and unbalanced op amps in the circuit. The first gang (Pot 5:A) controls an op amp and the second gang Pot 5:B controls the balanced op amp. I have read an article stating that a linear pot can be changed to an antilog pot with the addition of a calculated resistor attached to the wiper and CCW terminal 1. I am good at repairing and soldering but I don't have the knowledge to make a decision on this repair. The schematic shows 1 of 4 similar sections of the input board. All 4 of the input controls are sensitive to wiggle due to element failure in the pot. I have even considered just hardwiring the circuit in place of the pot controls but am not sure what I would have to do to eliminate those.
Slide1.JPG
jamaicajeff

Re: 1.5 k dual gang antilog potentiometers

Postby pebe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:31 am

Your pots are used as variable resistors, but adding a resistor between slider and one end of a linear pot may work.

In the circuit, when does the pot have minimum resistance - when at the clockwise or the anticlockwise end?
pebe

Re: 1.5 k dual gang antilog potentiometers

Postby jamaicajeff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:49 pm

I hard wired the thing full open after searching for hours on the internet for parts that don't exist. I am happy with the unit now and it works like new but if the signal is too hot it has to be attenuated before the input.
jamaicajeff

Return to Electronic Parts forum