Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Electrolytic Capacitor question

Enquire about part equivalents and difficult-to-find parts here. This is the forum to discuss everything about electronic parts and components.

Moderator: pebe

Electrolytic Capacitor question

Postby jconstable007 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Not sure if this is the correct spot to place this question but here goes.
recently received a 50" Plasma TV from a neighbor with a video problem. while Troubleshooting it, not seeing anything wrong, i.e. rounded topped caps, burnt spots etc, I happened to touch the tops of a couple of electrolytic caps on the VSUS board and got a little tingle, :shock: (yes the TV was on). Would that be an indication that the cap/caps are starting to fail. The TV picture looks pretty good for a time being and then starts to show what appears to be interference on the screen, sound is still perfect. Sometimes the screen will clear up, but it comes back. It doesn't matter what input I am on. I beleive that the capacitors are going bad on the VSUS board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jconstable007

Re: Electrolytic Capacitor question

Postby eddwhatley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:52 pm

jconstable . . .#7 . . .no less !

A model / chassis number would have been MOST ( to the power of 10 . . . .squared !) helpful.
That sets VSUS AND HSUS board work at HEFTY peak voltage levels , and I wouldn't be surprised with your shockee-shockee findings , there being a slight leakage path to the AC line thru the power supplys High value R/ Low value C, isolation components .
Particularly if you were standing buck naked on a concrete floor . . .hi hi.
As for those minor video abberations , I still don't know your country or TV system . . . old standard NTSC or the new ATSC digital format . . or even foreign ?.
But on using the different available video inputs, using the SVHS input would get closest to having direct input to the CRT and thereby have minimal sources of interference injection intermediately . . . . say . . . as compared to using the ext antenna input.
Initially, concentrate your suspect electrolytic cap failures more towards the sets main power supply.
Electrolytics tend to progressively mask their failue mode effect more after heated up, whereas, conventional caps . . . any time.

73's de Edd

eddwhatley

Return to Electronic Parts forum