Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

heating element variable resisotr control

Enquire about part equivalents and difficult-to-find parts here. This is the forum to discuss everything about electronic parts and components.

Moderator: pebe

heating element variable resisotr control

Postby hazebrewer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:40 pm

I have an immersible heating element that is controlled by a variable resistor. A separate toggle switch provides a hi and low setting. The device is 1800W and runs on 120 VAC. My question is: wht type of variable resistor might this be and where might I find a replacement?

Cheers!

hazebrewer
hazebrewer

Postby loupurdie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:39 am

We could attempt to control a DC motor with a variable resistor or a variable resistor connected to a transistor. But since it generates HEAT, it wastes power where PMW controls the motor by driving the motor with shirt pulses. This project controls a train motor.
Therefore the longer the pulses are (PMW) the faster the train would go.
I need to write a writeup regarding why i am choosing PMW controller over Resistor controller. Can anyone please recommend me a good site or a good book...???
loupurdie

Postby hazebrewer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:02 pm

There's more! This switch also has a built in temp enabling heat control from very low (100F) to very high 190F+.

Michael
hazebrewer

Postby Mike Paul » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:09 am

Hello There

Electrical Elements that use their resistivity to control the amount of electric current that flows through they are called Resistors. An ideal resistor in an electrical circuit is a device which produces a linear relationship between the voltage applied across it and the current flowing through it.

Thanks and Regards
Mike Paul
Mike Paul

Return to Electronic Parts forum