Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

panel mount male plug

Enquire about part equivalents and difficult-to-find parts here. This is the forum to discuss everything about electronic parts and components.

Moderator: pebe

panel mount male plug

Postby hypa_dude » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:31 pm

I would like to build an ac adapter/charger in a project box that plugs directly into the wall. I need a panel-mount male plug with exposed prongs. I've searched Digikey, Newark, Allied, and google and the closest I can find is power input receptacles that would require a cable going from the wall outlet into the project box. Why is this so difficult to find? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance!
hypa_dude

Postby JMACgyver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Hypa,

Personally, to do something like that, I would visit a local resale, outlet, secondhand, or pawn shop and look for a commercially made surplus adapter of the correct dimensions that had visible/accessible screws to let you open it up. some need a special tool bit, which a little time with a High-speed rotary tool you might be able to make. Others that are sealed, with no screws visible, I've found they can come apart with little trouble using a rubber mallet on the seams. Or a regular hammer and a small piece of wood held on end against the seam. Sharp, quick blows on each of the four sides should break the seam free. Heavy blows will break or chip the plastic case, so should be avoided. Make sure to wear eye protection, and do it on a solid surface. I usually do mine on either the patio concrete or if the weather's bad, I keep a spare piece of marble tile around to do it on when inside.

Once it comes apart you can snip the wires going from the board or transformer to the AC plug blades. Dismount the rest of the old board from the case if needed, and voila! you have what you need. Use some superglue gel or two-part epoxy to seal it back up.

Hope this Helps,
--Electro--
aka David M.
"In Theory, the is no difference between practice and theory. In Practice, there is."
JMACgyver

plug

Postby bitsandpieces » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:10 am

try a boating supply store as moored boats usually have these on the wall in order to plug into a shore supply lead
bitsandpieces

Postby newtonph » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:33 pm

Also, if you could go to junkshops where there are some devices with small electric machines not working.
Electric Motor Repair Philippines - Newton Electrical the leading professional provider of motor, generator & transformer testing, repair & maintenance.
newtonph

Return to Electronic Parts forum