Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Day counter with LED display

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Day counter with LED display

Postby manoman48 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:00 am

Hi. Newbie here so go easy on me :oops:

My background is mechanical engineering but I have a reasonable understanding of electronics. I am trying to put together a circuit which will increment a counter once every 24 hours and display that number (up to 9999) on a 4-digit, 7-segment LED display. It needs to be resettable and also be able to be set to any number as a start point (happy to 'fast index' through to achieve this).

I have looked at a few basic timer circuits which will turn something 'on' for a set period, but can anyone help me put together this circuit? I have contacted a few friends who have advised using a micro-controller, and although this is an area I know nothing about, I am happy to look if it will make my project easier.

The only other thing I would prefer to have is that it be battery powered (9v or 12v), and have the option of adding a solar panel to keep the batteries topped up during the day. Those really are 'nice to have' features though.

I have all my limbs crossed!
manoman48

Return to Electronic Circuits Help