Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Street Organ Help

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Re: Street Organ Help

Postby windmillnut » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:36 am

Hello again,
After two years I bet you all thought this thread was dead! Halloween is almost here and the organ zombie :twisted: thread lives. This project sat on the shelf for over a year. I spent the time collecting little bits and parts for the final version such as a good stereo, a set of good speakers, some old organ pipes, and switches from an old organ. This weekend I have accomplished a lot. I got the all of the parts of the organ wired together just as they would go into the finished organ cabinet. All of the wires are even measured out to the right length and allow the relays and resistors are mounted nicely in a cigar box.

Well, I cranked up the organ and everything worked. If I turned on the main power and started to turn the crank the CD began to play and when I stopped the CD would stop playing as long as I did not stop the handle in a spot where the switch would stay closed. If I turned on the main switch and then the run switch the CD would play without me having to turn the crank.

The bad is the 60 dollar stereo I bought goes through the process of re-reading the CD every time I begin to crank which increases the time it takes for the song to begin again. Now that I am typing I think I have a fix. I have the constant power (yellow) wire hooked up the the main power switch. If I connect it right to the battery It should not have to re-read the CD!

If that does not work. The other method, which I think would be slicker is to purchase another stereo for a car with steering wheel controls. If I use an always closed relay and pass a ground to the mute wire the CD will mute instead of turning off the whole radio. I have the relay, but do not have stereo with a mute wire. It looks like I may be hitting the pawn shop tomorrow! I do not want to spend another $50 bucks on another stereo, but it will bother me to no end once it is all done and I did not try to mute the stereo instead of turning it off.

I will post the wiring layout and a video of it running when the final layout is all figured out. Thanks again for this site. Without it and the help people have given I would be $300 richer today. :lol:

Sincerely,
Brian
windmillnut

Postby KMoffett » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Brian,

Glad to hear it. I've been wondering if you had just dropped the project. So often the thread posters, after a lot of exchanges, just seem to disappear.

Ken
KMoffett

Postby windmillnut » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:33 am

Just thought I would post my very porfessional :cry: wiring diagram of the organ project. Any suggestions as to how to fix it so the circuit could get energized quicker would be appreciated.
Thanks all again,
Brian
Attachments
img468.jpg
img468.jpg (263.32 KiB) Viewed 89653 times
Last edited by windmillnut on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windmillnut

Postby KMoffett » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Brian,

The top and bottom of you sketch are cut off. What is GOS, on the right side?

Ken
KMoffett

Postby windmillnut » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:45 pm

Ken,
I uploaded a new picture. GOS is just the brand of transistor. I am using 16 gauge wire through out the whole thing. Could I go down to 18 gauge wire?
Thanks,
Brian
windmillnut

Postby windmillnut » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:51 am

If anyone is interested I uploaded some videos of the organ project.
Enjoy
https://youtu.be/uHsv4pND-X4
https://youtu.be/RBqeF8OLsRw
windmillnut

Postby windmillnut » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:54 am

I came across another way to make this thing work. I have attached another poorfessional wiring diagram.
https://youtu.be/sFa3CIdrdP0
Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
Attachments
img469.jpg
img469.jpg (152.31 KiB) Viewed 89639 times
windmillnut

Postby Relayer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:44 am

Hello Brian,
Your project in very intriguing and unusual and I have to commend you on your efforts so far. Well done!!! :)
As for being able to stop the music when cranking, the best method would be to pause the CD rather than mute it. Reason being, is that the CD will continue on regardless, therefore when cranking it up again would make it sound as if it skipped some of the music. If you're satisfied with that arrangement, then muting the player would be the way to go.
If you'd rather pause the CD, then you would need to make sure there is a pause button on your player. If so, then you would need to open up the facia of the player, locate the tactile switch for the pause button, analyze the way it works by studying the switch's tracks to see if they go to ground when switched. You'll find that 9 times out of 10, it will get grounded. You only need to attach one wire to the high side of the switch and that will then work as a pseudo mute.
As for the 6 second pause when re-cranking the lever before the music comes on, the picture below maybe the better way to go.

The main problem in using a switch to get the music going, as you've stated already, is the fact that you may stop the crank right on the point of it being switched. I thought you might be able to utilize a hall effect sensor arrangement using magnets, but the same may occur with that also. Whereby the magnet may stop and face the sensor. Same would happen with using an opto sensor arrangement as well.
Cranking a DC motor seems to be the best option, but I cannot tell you what delay in re-cranking would be, but I'm certain it would be much better than the switch arrangement.
When cranking the motor, it will produce a voltage that is limited by the 5.1V zener diode, as to not overload the transistors base if the crank is being turned at a reasonable pace. The transistor will be turned full on by the 5 volts at its base, thus switching on, thus energizing the relay and grounding the MUTE or PAUSE.
Any hobby DC motor would more than likely work well. Or if you can get one similar to the one in the link would be ideal:
Jaycar
I hope the above helps.
Please keep us all posted on your progress.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Regards,
Relayer
Relayer

Postby windmillnut » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:49 am

Hello Relayer,
Thank you for taking the time to work up such a good looking diagram for me. I am afraid that I am going to continue on my current path of using the crank and just deal with the delay. I am sure your solution would work, but you are dealing with an electronics novice and to be perfectly honest it would take me another 2 years to understand and build your design. What you have designed is for someone better than me.
Thanks again,
Brian
windmillnut

Postby windmillnut » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:52 am

Hello,
I spent some time on the organ tonight and tested using the always closed circuit controlling a mute wire on a different car stereo.

https://youtu.be/0GDcweoC_Hg

I explained the mute and always closed relay usage backwards in the video the first time :oops:

My next job is to do a better job of wiring, mark all of the wire connections so I can hook them up once the parts are in the cabinet and then build a box about the size of the radio cabinet to give the woodworker an idea of what I need.

Thank you all again,
Brian
windmillnut

Postby windmillnut » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:34 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D It's Done! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I first contacted this site in November of 2014. It is now March 22, 2017. That is 2 years and 4 months.

If it was not for the response I received from this site the organ never would have gotten done.

https://youtu.be/qarH0Emrme0

https://youtu.be/a1Lb_4tA008
windmillnut

Postby KMoffett » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Brian,

All I can say is...WOW! Glad you persisted. It's beautiful.

Ken
KMoffett

Postby Relayer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:51 am

Hello windmillnut,
I have to agree with Ken. :D Your project worked out extremely well and it
looks absolutely fantastic. WELL DONE!!! :)
Regards,
Relayer
Relayer

Previous

Return to Electronic Circuits Help