Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Xenon lamp ignition sequence

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Xenon lamp ignition sequence

Postby tnnelectronics » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:52 am

Hi,
time ago I studied the ignition circuit of a Xenon lamp (see attachments) I wanted a last information kindly, on power-up sequence:

1. Load the capacitors to a certain voltage (max 300Vcc)
2. sending the capacitor voltage across the lamp
3. active discharge trigger (lasting from 10 to 30ms) to get the lighting of the lamp

is' the right sequence?

The duration of the ignition of the lamp is equal to the duration of the discharge trigger?
tnnelectronics

Re: Xenon lamp ignition sequence

Postby KMoffett » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Sequence is correct (but just guessing at your particular circuit). The length of time the lamp is lighted is determined by the value of the capacitor, the peak capacitor voltage, the capacitor discharge current, and the cut-off voltage of the lamp. Not by the length of the trigger pulse. That just initiates the discharge. The trigger could be milliseconds and the lamp could be lit for only microseconds. Probably more that you want to know:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_strbfaq.html

Ken
KMoffett

Postby tnnelectronics » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:23 pm

ok,

so if rather than wait for the lamp to turn off when the capacitor voltage falls below a certain level,
I wanted to have ignitions of X milliseconds after ignition, just remove the voltage across the lamp at a given period T (ms) Default?

that's right?
tnnelectronics

Postby KMoffett » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:29 pm

I have seen ways in the past of cutting off the lamp current, but I can't point you to any right now. I think it used an SCR in series with the lamp, and back biased the anode/cathode to turn it off.

Ken
KMoffett

Postby tnnelectronics » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:54 am

:D :D :D
tnnelectronics

Return to Electronic Circuits Help