Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Newbie Part question

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Newbie Part question

Postby chazkayak » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi all, this is my first dabble into the world of electronics since building a LED circuitboard back in 1982!!!

Here goes

My PC monitor stopped working a while back, recently i decided to have a go and fix it. I took the back off and looked at power in first of all.

I found a small fuse shaped like a resistor next the the power in plug. I ran a voltmeter accross it to check for continuity in both directions and got no reading either direction.

The part is as small as a resistor in clear glass with a fuse wire element, which looks broken, there is a red marking inside the glass but no other marking.

Can anyone help with identifying this part and point me in the direction where I can get a new one?

Many thanks
chazkayak

Re: Newbie Part question

Postby pebe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:05 am

If it is about 20mm long and near the power input, then it is almost certainly a fuse.

First confirm that there is continuity between each side of the fuse and one or other of the mains input wires. If so then try replacing it with a 2A 250V fuse.
pebe

Return to Electronics newbies