Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Where to find the electrical components working details

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Is this question helping newbies or just me?

Yes its doing well
100%
No its for you only
No votes

Total votes : 1

Where to find the electrical components working details

Postby calladeel_123 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:04 am

Hello
I have a keen interest in learning electronics but i have stopped studies 2 years before. Now i dont want to join any school but still want to learn electronics. So anyone can help me out from where should i start.

I have one idea of getting to know about electrical components / parts details,how they works and then start using them immediately. What do you think.

So if anyone know about website which present such material then let me
know please.
calladeel_123

Electrical Components

Postby awright » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:05 pm

Well, Muhammed, a surprising number of people I have met over a 40+ year career in engineering got started in electronics by building Heathkits. I don't know if the interest in electronics or the kits came first. Heath is now defunct, but there are many kit makers out there. Google "electronic kits."

You can build the kits blindly, not caring about the theory or how the finished item works, or you can learn about reading schematics and learning what the purpose of each component in the kit is. And, after building the kit, you can probe its workings to observe on a 'scope, or at least on a VOM, what is happening throughout the circuit.

This is no substitute for a formal education in electronics, but it is fun and interesting and may motivate you to go back to school. Plus, you end up with some interesting playthings.

There are some very good books to help get you up to speed. One that comes to mind and is very good is, "The Art of Electornics," by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, Cambridge University Press. My Second Edition is ISBN 0-521-37095-7, 1989. I'm sure there are subsequent editions by now. This starts at a very basic level and takes the reader through fairly advanced aspects of electronics. Highly recommended, particularly if your library is going to be small. Don't forget used book stores as a resource for cheap books (although you have to be careful about getting an education on germanium transistors with terrible characteristics by today's standards).

Another cheap way to learn is to buy salvage electronics at flea markets or junk stores and restore them. You are forced to learn what a components do in a circuit to track down the defect. Avoid buying any line operated equipment that smells of burned insulation. The sniff test is the first level evaluation of the repairability of an item. Generally, an item with a burned out transformer is not worth the cost of a replacement transformer.

Have fun.

awright
awright

Postby ray » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:46 am

there are books and books about electronics. my suggestion is simple get them for free read white papers from manufactures and application sheets and actualy try to understabd one at the time. nobody but nobody can possibly know it all about electronics no way i know digital and analog what about radio zip tv zip. it is a mith that u can learn from kits except how to biuld things. long time ago i also biuld an oscilloscope did i learn anything nope except on how to biuld it. u must choose a subject and dig in untill u understand all of it totaly and move on.
i will help anybody with all i can do in analog digital design
ray

learning electronics

Postby bitsandpieces » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:52 pm

dont waste your time with kits and the like,I am self taught and learnt everything off the internet.Try starting with oscillators and then power supplies as these are the 2 fundamentals of electrinics.You can then build your own lab power supply and function generator as projects.dont worry if they are basic as you learn more you can build better ones at a latter stage
bitsandpieces

Return to Electronics newbies