Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Relay J Circuit

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Relay J Circuit

Postby lowtech » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:52 pm

My boss wants to use a 12 Volt zener diode in series with a 12Volt Relay across a 24V power source. I don't believe this will work
I would like to attach a file detailing my circuit. What format is acceptable for the file?

Please advise.
lowtech

Re: Relay J Circuit

Postby pebe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:07 am

Ideally, use a .GIF or similar graphics file.
Don't use a .JPG file because it gets blurred if an attempt is made to enlarge it.
pebe

Postby pebe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Lowtech.
Using a zener as a voltage dropper means that zener and relay would both have 12V across them and both would use the same current, so provided the zener power rating was equal to, or more than, the relay coil power then the arrangement would work OK. The relay may need a diode across it (I can tell more when I see your circuit).
pebe

Postby KMoffett » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:33 pm

If you know or can measure the relay's coil resistance, you can just use a resistor of the same value. The resistor and Zener will have to dissipate the same amount of heat. And the resistor will probably be cheaper. But that's without knowing any more about the circuit than what you have stated. ;)

Ken
KMoffett

Return to Electronics newbies