Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Speaker help

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Speaker help

Postby rezo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:49 am

Hello, everyone. I bought these computer speakers from Best Buy about 2 years ago. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z313 A few months later I started having issues with sound cutting out of one speaker or the other, along with occasional cracking and popping. Turning the volume on the controller to max and giving it a little play higher and lower would often temporarily fix it. Applying pressure to the edge of the volume knob also worked most of the time, however it doesn't work as well anymore so I'm hoping there is a way to remove the controller altogether. I still like the speakers. They sound nice and I would prefer to fix them and get a learning experience rather than just throwing money at a new set that may do the same down the road. Here is a picture of the controller's pcb. http://i.imgur.com/YtDyXXC.jpg

I'm a total newb concerning the nitty-gritty of circuitry. Please take care of me! Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for the wordiness.
rezo

Re: Speaker help

Postby I_Daniel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 am

Popping and crackling indicates a loose connection or a faulty volume control especially when you say pressing on the volume control it stops the noise.

Check for a loose connection on the volume control or a dry joint. Alternatively replace the volume control.

Also check the plugs. If it is plugged in and out a number of times or the moved around a lot, the wires break just outside the plug where they are continually bent.
I_Daniel

Re: Speaker help

Postby rezo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:22 am

Thanks for the advice.
rezo

Return to Electronics newbies