Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Photodiode switch for clock chime

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Photodiode switch for clock chime

Postby gr3ggr1ff1n » Mon May 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Hello all,

I'm not a complete newbie, but I'm not highly experienced. I've looked around the web and can't find anything to help me. If I can make this, it will end up on the web to help everyone in my situation.

I have a battery powered wall clock with chimes. I just needed to replace the clock motor and it came with a chime...one that goes off every 15 minutes and has a hour-count chime as well. This is ok during the day, but in the evening, while watching a movie or resting, it is annoying.

I want to add a photocell to turn off the chime when it gets dark. I'm not so concerned about it turning off too early in the evening. I realize that some adjustments may be needed, but in short, there should be a simple way of interrupting a single audio line with a photodiode or two or a highly resistive photocell. If the result is a very quiet chime or no chime, I'm good with that. Most other DIYers out there will be happy as well.

It would be great to avoid purchasing lots and lots of variations until the right combo is found, if any of you can figure this out without proposing generically what must be done.

Thanks!!
gr3ggr1ff1n

Return to Electronics newbies