Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Wireless mouse problems

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Wireless mouse problems

Postby MayRin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 am

Herrow :?

So I bought a brand new wireless mouse and I put in the new AAA batteries and turned the on switch after connecting the USB port to my computer...AND... it doesn't work :shock: . I took it apart to see if maybe something was loose and I don't understand circuitry at all, but there's a part where the on/off switch isn't exactly connected to anything? And the batteries go to this little white box... it's confusing to explain, which is why I took pictures!
Could someone please help me, I bought this thing as a birthday gift and thought it would be good to try out to make sure it works. Well I'm glad I did try it out because it's not working, but now I have no idea how to fix it, and returning the item will take forever (it's from China).

Please help me fix this mouse :< I would greatly appreciate it T n T
Sincerely,
MayRin

a.png
a.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 8660 times

b.png
b.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 8660 times

c.png
c.png (1.97 MiB) Viewed 8660 times
MayRin

Re: Wireless mouse problems

Postby pebe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi,
The batteries and switch are connected together with the rest of the components by means of a printed circuit board. This is shown in you last photo. The light green areas are copper foil on the board, and the darker green lines are the gaps separating the copper areas. The whole board has been sprayed with a green varnish to protect the copper. The picture shows three joints on the switch soldered to the copper.

This is a wireless mouse but you say you have connected to the USB socket. I assume you mean you have plugged in a wireless adapter. Have you installed the software driver that came with the mouse (on a CD?).

The principle of operation is that a light is projected down on to the desk or mat and the reflected light is used to sense movement. In your case the LED you show is aimed at the 8pin black item in the centre of the top pic. My mouse uses a red LED and if I turn the mouse over I can see the red light coming from it. If you cannot see any light from yours it may be because it is an infrared LED. If so, you can check if it is operating by viewing it with a digital camera – the infrared will show up as a white spot.
pebe

Re: Wireless mouse problems

Postby JoshMac » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:48 am

Alot of new mice are actually infrared, so there may not be a visible light coming from the LED, unlike the older red led's you see. it may appear the connectors are not connected to anything, but alot of boards use multilayer PCB's, so there is 1 or more layers of copper that you cant see inside the copper.

You can use a camera on your mobile or a digital camera, to see IR light. give that a go.

then option B, claim your mouse under warranty and replace it....
JoshMac

Return to Electronics newbies