Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Complete novice! Sorry....

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Complete novice! Sorry....

Postby sjwalshjs » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 pm

hello,

I'm a complete novice but see that this forum is full of not only very talented but also very helpful and sympathetic people. I'm looking for a motor control circuit that activates one complete turn of a motor following a simple push and release of a button.

Once the motor has turned I wish for it not to be able to be actuated for 60 seconds before a push and release of the button will make it turn again. If a push and release is made during the 60 second delay then nothing should happen then or after this time period. After 60 seconds a press of the button will actuate the motor again as before and so on.

Is this something you could help with?

I would most grateful if you are able to point me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Steve
sjwalshjs

Re: Complete novice! Sorry....

Postby pebe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi. What sort of motor is it?
pebe

Postby sjwalshjs » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:48 am

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

At present I'm open to suggestions but would imagine using a stepper motor sub 12 volts

It needs to be relatively small, no bigger than 70mm in length and 8mm in diameter, smaller is fine

All the best

Steve
sjwalshjs

Postby pebe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:11 am

I cannot offer any suggestions because I don't know anything about your application.

For a single revolution, a stepper motor would seem to be your best choice, but you need to decide on its type, voltage, size, minimum torque, stepping angle and stepping speed. Also, limits would be needed for the 60sec period.

Armed with that information a system could be designed with discrete ICs, but I must say it could most easily done with a programmed microcontroller like a PIC. Have you any experience in that field?
pebe

Return to Electronics newbies