Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

I don't know why this doesn't work

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

I don't know why this doesn't work

Postby zorb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:43 pm

serial cable extension

I don't know why this doesn't work.

I want to extend my mouse about 20 feet over a serial connection so I bought 1 male and 1 female db 9 to RJ 45 connectors and wired them straight through omitting pin #9.

I connected them together using a standard cat 5 store bought cable (tried 3 different ones) but the mouse is not recognized with the extension.

I ohmed them out to make sure of connectivity.

I even tried connecting the two metal db9 plug casings together with a clip lead thinking that this might be a needed ground,

It works fine with no extension. What am I missing?

(Kensington expert serial mouse)
zorb

Re: I don't know why this doesn't work

Postby I_Daniel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:39 am

The impedance of your extension cable could be too high and the signal could thus be attenuated below the normal detection level. The resistance of the cable increases with length and the DC supply to the mouse could also become too low.

I am guessing you have the computer standing next to a big TV screen and the mouse is for games, or watching videos from the hard drive.

The best bet would be to use a USB mouse as you do get USB extension cables of up to ten meters. The USB cable usually has a co-axial screen and the impedance normally does not increase over that relatively short distance. (Although, as previously mentioned, the Resistance increases and could cause a drop in the DC power to the mouse)

Using a RF or infra red mouse does not always work well or 100% over this distance but if you could borrow one from someone you could try them.

The best way to check the signal and the voltages is with an oscilloscope.

Edit: I have now done a Google search for the Kensington Expert Serial Mouse. It gives diagrams and I would suggest that you check if all your connections are as per their diagram.
I_Daniel

Re: I don't know why this doesn't work

Postby zorb » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:28 pm

I must have had a bad connection in one of the connectors that I made.
Re did everything the same way and working now
Thanks for the reply
zorb

Return to Electronics newbies