Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Purpose of this A-STABLE circuit

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Purpose of this A-STABLE circuit

Postby danny111888 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:59 am

We have been given this circuit to determine the purpose of it, but I have no idea what it does. I heard someone say they are for spotlights in a nightclub for example.
I have worked out some graphs in which is oscillates, and found the period of the P- but was stuck from here.

I have attached the circuit on this post for a clearer view. From my guess is that is used for a clock but might be wrong and thinking of something completely different?? Because it has an A-Stable and a COUNTER, it resets from point R.

Could someone please tell me how 1) this circuit could be used for spotlights or a clock? and 2) how to actually determine what it is used for?

Thank You
Danny
Attachments
coursework circuit.PNG
coursework circuit.PNG (23.17 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
danny111888

Re: Purpose of this A-STABLE circuit

Postby pebe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 am

I have no idea what the 'E' symbol and the diode are for, but the Schmidt inverter is wired as an astable oscillator. It feeds a 4bit binary(?) decoder giving counts or 1, 2, 4, and 8 on outputs A to D respectively.

So the AND gate connected to A and C will give an output at Q every 5th pulse, and the gate connected to B and C will give a reset every 6th count. So the result is a train of pulses at Q with a 1/6 duty cycle.
pebe

Return to Electronics newbies