Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

help with basic circuit

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

help with basic circuit

Postby huntnvet » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:18 pm

OK, so my training is in veterinary medicine, I only have a rudimentary understanding of circuits.
Thus, I'm looking for help with a science project my daughter and I are working on.

I would like to make a circuit to do the following: when I my finger is used to create a connection between two wires, I want the circuit to then send/switch on, so that it allows current to a light bulb and the bulb turns on. This is almost like a touch lamp switch, but instead of a single wire or /metal lamp body being touched to activate the circuit, I would like to use 2 wires and my finger has to be touching both at the same time.

I bought a touch lamp dimmer switch from Home Depot and installed it into a lamp. When I touch the yellow wire, the lamps bulb changes accordingly. But I now would like to have the same thing only I must be touching 2 wires at the same time. Hope this makes sense as my knowledge of technical language in this field is nil.

I would have searched for past forum questions as this has probably been discussed, but I have no idea what key word to search for.

Any help as to names for this circuit, circuit part names, etc would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
huntnvet

Return to Electronics newbies