Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Help me design and build circuit - speaker switch

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Help me design and build circuit - speaker switch

Postby TechnoFreek » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:48 am

Hey guys, not sure if this the right place to ask this but hopefully it is!

I am a bit of an electronics noob but I can read basic schematics, am handy with a soldering iron and can follow instructions real well!

Can anyone design a basic circuit for me, tell me exactly what parts I need and how to wire it all up?

The basics of what I am trying to do is a speaker switch: two lots of speaker inputs from source A and B, a simple slider type switch to select between source A or B.
there then is just one output, based on the switch position.

Once I have my head around that, I want to add a slight complexity to it - an output headphone socket.

So: the switch will select source A or B which will output to either the output speaker terminals OR the headphone socket. If there is a headphone connected the output would be the headphones, otherwise the speakers.

I have drawn a simple diagram of what I am trying to achieve.

I do understand that such devices already exist however I have a couple of ideas like this that I am trying to develop into a single project box which has a number of switches, controls etc for various bits and pieces

Any advice here is greatly apreciated.

Speaker switch.JPG
Speaker switch
Speaker switch.JPG (35.29 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
TechnoFreek

Re: Help me design and build circuit - speaker switch

Postby kbs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi,

Is the amplifier seperate? if so, why not switch the (audio) inputs to the amplifier? Hopefully the amplifier will have a headphone socket. Or add a new amplifier (with headphone circuit) and use a simple circuit to reduce the outputs from the other amplifiers to line level (and feed line level signals into new amplifier).

If that isnt suitable, you need to consider the impedance of the headphones to be used. Usually a seperate headphone amplifier circuit is the easiest solution (easier to reduce amplifier output to drive headphone amplifier than to reduce amplifier output to suit headphones).

You may want to think further into this project and define all the future functionality you wish to add. If you don't, you may end up with a circuit that cannot accomodate your future plans.

Good luck,

Kb
kbs

Return to Electronics newbies