Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Alternating Flasher help

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Alternating Flasher help

Postby moffutt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:24 pm

I am modifying my daughters ATV and wanted to add police type lights. I found this circuit which is perfect for my cause.
Project - http://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/lightsimages/lightsckt11.shtml
Diagram - Image

This is the first electronics circuit I have ever attempted to build so I built it first on a test breadboard. I am running 12 volts instead of 6 or 9 but I did buy the relays to match the voltage. The problem is when I first hook up the battery the D2 diode lights up for about 1 second, after that the D1 diode flashes about as I would expect it to but the D2 diode never lights again. I am seeing jumpy voltage across pin 4 on the D2 IC 555 chip but there is no voltage on pin 3.

While I was measuring voltage I put my meter on the pin 2 side of the 68k resistor and the other side of my meter to ground. This actually caused the D2 diode to flash.

I'm not sure where to go from here, and my knowledge when it comes to electronics is minimal at best.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks
moffutt

Re: Alternating Flasher help

Postby pebe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:06 am

When the cap at pin2 charges so that pin6 gets to two thirds on the supply voltage (8V for a 12V supply), the LED will go off. At that time pin7 should switch pin6 to ground. The cap should then start to discharge through the 68K and as soon as the voltage on pin2 gets down to 4V, the LED will go on again. At the same time pin7 will go open circuit and allow the cap to charge again.

It looks like in your case either there is a faulty connection between pins 6 and 7, or the 555 is faulty. Try swapping it with one of the other 555s.
pebe

Postby moffutt » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Thank you for your reply. I tried changing out the 555 with no luck. I rechecked the connections on 6 and 7 and they seem to be ok. By grounding pin2 on the farthest right 555 I am able to get something that is acceptable although it is not exactly what the diagram said it was going to do. I'm going to move it over to permanent board and try it again without the pin2 grounded first and if i get the same results I'll just ground out pin2.

Thank you again for your response.
moffutt

Postby pebe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:29 pm

What is the voltage on pin2 and on pins6/7 on the far right 555 when the LED has gone out?
pebe

Postby moffutt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:33 am

Sorry I've been a little slow. I took apart the test board and am slowly soldering the permanent board. When it's done I'll write back with the voltages. Thank you again for your help.
moffutt

Return to Electronics newbies