Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

how to lift and drop a pet door, motorized, remotely

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Re: how to lift and drop a pet door, motorized, remotely

Postby pebe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi Garry,

It looks like our posts crossed. But coming back to your other question about LEDs. Do you want them to show the door status during the operation, or when it is complete?
I mean "Door is Opening" or "Door is Open"?
pebe

Postby GaS753 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes it does pebe! This is off the subject but here is how I hooked up the pulley. A hose clamp is what holds the wooden dowel pulley shaft to the motor’s metal shaft. A friend drilled a hole in the center of the one end of the dowel only a hair larger and slightly longer than the metal shaft. Then a jig saw was used to cut twice down through the center hole, cuts were perpendicular to each other. Then I placed a small hose clamp over this end of the dowel. Pressed the motor shaft into the center hole - it was a tight fit - and then tightened up the hose clamp as tight as I could. Can you offer a better way?

You have better local stores than we do, but I am still looking, but thanks for the link just in case. Those screws are tiny!

I believe I would choose to have the LEDs on during the operation as that would be the least amount of time for them to be on if I am thinking straight - am I? Thanks again for all your good help. Garry (GaS753)
GaS753

Postby pebe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi Garry,

As the assembly once completed will be permanent, you might try a spot of glue on the shaft before fitting the pulley.

Here is the wiring for the LEDs. They just light up when the motor is running, as you wanted. The 'k' on the circuit indicates the cathode of the LED.
Attachments
Cat Door.GIF
Cat Door.GIF (6.75 KiB) Viewed 19770 times
pebe

Postby GaS753 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Pebe, I’ll give the glue a try, good idea. I will also implement the LEDs and resistors. Thanks again for all your help and kindness. As soon as I can get the LEDs and resistors I will install them and let you know. You great in my book. Thanks again for all your good help. Garry (GaS753)
GaS753

Postby pebe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Garry,

You're most welcome. I hope everything turns out OK for you.
pebe

Postby GaS753 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Pebe, I finally have everything installed and working. The cats have had no trouble going through the door when it opens. The LEDs are a plus to the operation and are working fine. So I can not say enough about your wonderful help, without you this very helpful project would never have got off the ground or be in place and working. Thanks again for all your help and kindness. Hope your holidays are filled with joy. Garry (GaS753)
GaS753

Postby pebe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Garry,

I'm so pleased that it's all working OK for you.

Best wishes.
pebe

Postby miketaylor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi..
You need a power supply with enough output to handle the starting surge current in the motor. and check the supply properly.
thanks for sharing
PrintingHost
miketaylor

Previous

Return to Electronics newbies