Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Parallel resistance

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Parallel resistance

Postby Cube_Code » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:17 pm

I recently started reading a book on basic electronics theory and came across a confusing concept. Apparently total equivalent resistance of a circuit containing parallel resistors is always less than the value of the smallest resistor. I don't understand how that is possible. How could it be that in a circuit containing two resistors, R1=1000 and R2=3000, total equivalent resistance is equal to 750 ohms. If my entire current traveled through R1 I could achieve greater resistance. Why is it that adding a resistor of even greater value would diminish my total resistance? If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Cube_Code

Re: Parallel resistance

Postby pebe » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:35 am

According to Ohms Law the current through a resistor is proportional to the voltage acropss it, ie. Current (I) = V / R.

So if you have a supply voltage of 10V, the current through the 1000ohms resistor= .01A. And the current through the 3000ohm resistor would be .00333A. That makes the current through both resistors in parallel = .01A + .00333A = .01333A.

Again, from Ohms Law, if 10V produces a current of .01333A through the total resistance, the resistance must be 10/.0133A = 750ohms.

I hope that explains it.
pebe

Return to Electronics newbies