Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Installing multiple power supplies to a slot car track

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Installing multiple power supplies to a slot car track

Postby Helgard » Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi all,
I am a keen slot car enthsiast, currently running a Carrera track powered by two regulated 13,8 volt DC power supplies rated at 20 Amps each (one for each lane).I also managed to obtain another two of these power supplies, but only rated at 7 Amps each.
My idea is to run both the 20 Amp and 7 Amp powersupplies on each lane in order to be able to get the maximum current as well as the maximum voltage from these supplies.I would also like to make both current and voltage to the track , adjustable and to include a digital readout for both current and voltage in order to monitor what current and voltage is dialed in.
On a slot car site I came across an article where the writer recommends including a bank of 110000 mF capacitors of 35VDC (two per power supply) as well as a 30 Amp diode in each circuit.To quote the author "adding a large capacitor downstream of the power supply will minimize noise (AC ripple),help regulate voltage and massively increase surge".
As a newbie to the world of electronics I would appreciate any help/advice/diagrams in how to execute my idea and also any comments on the use of the aforementioned capacitors and diodes in the circuit.
BTW 110000uF 35 vDC capacitors do not seem to be that readily available and if they are,they are very pricy!
Thanks for any help!
Helgard
Helgard

Re: Installing multiple power supplies to a slot car track

Postby Major_Problem » Wed May 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Hello Helgard,

First, I'm not familiar with the specifics of a carrera race track.

My observation: 110.000 mF equals 110 Farrad. This, combined with 35 V, should be a very costly capacitor(s) if not impossible.
Question: Is the supply regulated to control the speed of the car or is this done through a (digital) signal on the supply, through a third rail or by radio waves?

The diodes are presumably used for protecting feedback from one supply to the other supplies. High speed electrolytic capacitors along your track will reduce ripple currents / voltage drop along the track.

I don't know the size of your track but I would suggest a couple of supplies connected along the tracks. Esp. at acceleration points, not at the place you would brake/decelerate. In order to make sure that not one supply feeds everything and the others are not feeding at all, small resistors in series with the supply does the trick. Other possibility is to use special supplies with sensing inputs. third possibility could be feeding sections separately. Then the capacitors come in handy. I would not use capacitors but rechargeable battery packs. They charge up when the car is out of that section and provide power when needed.

You want to regulate the voltage and current. Are the power supplies built with a transformer or by means of a switch mode power supply?

Perhaps this provides some help?
Major_Problem

Return to Electronics newbies