Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Power supply

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Power supply

Postby AntonyyB » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi, I know how to build a computer and what parts are what... but on my travels i have defined myself to a desktop user rather than a laptop, as they can be easily modified and produce more power on a lower budget.

What i would like to know is how can i have power.. but on a smaller scale, as i will be moving around i want to have a smaller pc tower, to do this i would like to have an external power supply (i have seen that these can be bought but i am not too sure on them).

I would like around 250 to 400 watts within an enclosure externally from the desktop that has connections like the 24pin atx, some molex or sata.

The 2 ideas i have had would be using an xbox 360 power supply as the source and either: cutting the end of the cable off and rewiring it to an atx pin port - or creating a panel for the supply to plug into and then running cables from this into atx, molex or sata.

however this is where i need help? is this possible? how would i go about it safely? i do not know how to use the copper and the pcb with the acid that is needed and that kind of stuff :( nor do i have the facilities...

Thanks for your time!
AntonyyB

Re: Power supply

Postby Drew1 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:36 am

Towers and desktops are designed to operate on AC power. From this AC; the power supply produces DC power, 3.3V, 5V, +12V. -12V, 5V standby etc..... A laptop operates on a a single DC Voltage because the laptop itself has a power supply inside of it that converts DC Power into other DC Voltages. Your desktop PC lacks this DC-DC Converter. If you want to make you tower run on DC, you will need to look into DC-DC Converters that has the same voltages and power ratings for each voltage that the AC supply produces. Now; in order to make the DC-DC converter work, you will need to supply it with a power souce such as a car battery or an AC/DC converter that has produces the correct voltage at the current required to run your DC/DC converter.

Long story short......if you want to run your tower off of a battery, your best bet is to run down to the hardware store and purchase a DC to AC INVERTER. This will conver DC power into AC Power which your tower computer can then use.

You must also realize that to run a monitor and tower for any length of time on a DC to AC inverter, you will have to purchase a dolly to haul a deep cycle marine battery around along with your tower, monitor, keyboard and mouse.......

Personally I'd go to a used computer store and purchase a laptop.
Drew1

Postby aadambell » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 am

yes i am agree with Drew1
aadambell

Postby zero_cool420 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:27 am

I recommend buying a laptop instead. :) I too is not a lappy guy, I prefer a desktop, but if I know that its gonna be a hassle for me, like bringing around my desktop. (??) then I should consider myself buying a laptop. :)

mostly if your budget for that project can actually buy a 2nd hand laptop. :)
zero_cool420

Postby zimjam » Sun May 06, 2012 2:28 am

@AnthonyB

hmm, at the bottom end of your stated power range (250watt) you can get a PicoPSU or similar.

These devices not much bigger than the size of the ATX header itself, and are powered from a 12v plug-pack (or you can get wide input 8 - 24volt). Originally these PSU's are designed for ITX environments, however if you are clever in what you build and take into account the amperage required you should be able to make some magic happend.

If its worth anything, I have used a 120watt PicoPSU to power a PICMG full size (industrial) formfactor PC on a card.

As a new member I doubt I can post links, so input this number 251012703927 into eBay and it will give you an idea of what I am on about.
zimjam

Return to Electronics newbies