Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

simple delay turn on the monitor

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

simple delay turn on the monitor

Postby wiparat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:27 am

Currently we use the same computer. Most are connected to an outlet with a switch to turn off with the easier to use. But when we turn off the switch, plug it in short strokes will be.Surge current flows into. This may result in damage and lost a hard drive. Therefore require a delay for a while. It is time to turn on itself, which will help prevent hard disk the damage. This circuit can be used with 220 volt house power..........Read more
wiparat

Postby I_Daniel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 am

This will delay the switch-on of the monitor but it will not affect the normal surge switch-on current of the monitor itself.

The PC power supply normally has surge and spike protection built in so the use of this circuit to prevent Harddrive failure is not understood.

My one monitor's manual indicates it must be switched on before the PC, while the other monitor does not require this to be so.

It must be remembered that for any PC or TV, actually any electronic equipment, the power should not be switched off and then switched on immediately; This is to prevent spikes. The delay in switching on the power should be at least fourteen seconds. Twenty to thirty seconds is better.

Lightning/spike suppression adapters/power sockets is a safer bet.
I_Daniel

Postby newtonph » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Nice info Daniel, that should explain why PCs that turn on and off very often are crashing too often.
Electric Motor Repair Philippines - Newton Electrical the leading professional provider of motor, generator & transformer testing, repair & maintenance.
newtonph

Postby I_Daniel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:38 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is that if the PC is on and it is moved around while it is on and gets a sharp bump then the harddrive's head could knock against the platter and this could also cause harddrive failure.

Everytime you turn a system off and immediately on it puts a big strain on the components because of the switch-on surge.
I_Daniel

Return to Electronics newbies