Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Car Voice Greeting DIY - Need Help - New Guy :)

New to electronics? Don't know where to start. No problem! Post your questions here.

Moderator: pebe

Car Voice Greeting DIY - Need Help - New Guy :)

Postby DrewFace » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Hey everyone...new to the forum...interested in hearing what you all have to say and hopefully getting some help on something i'd like to put together.

It seems fairly simple in concept but i dont know much about building circuits, programming chips (and which ones to use), and interfacing with some sort of audio file and speaker in this case....so here is what i want to do: Simply have a voice greeting such as "Hello, Mr. (insert name here)", when starting my truck. Eventually whatever architecture could hopefully be built upon, maybe having some buttons that say various phrases or even reading your fuel amount or something and reporting when its low, etc.. but i'll stick to the basic greeting for now.
I'm assuming it will need a constant 12V supply and then triggered (with a programmed delay) by the stereo remote wire. However, how to accomplish this is beyond me. I'm a mechanical engineer so i have a slight background in EC design, and Mechatronics, but that's been a few years. If someone could help me with the basics like: circuit design (microcontrollers?), amplifier?, how to play and audio file generated on a computer, is that programmed into a chip or will it need to read it off some sort of storage device in the circuit, etc... I really don't know where to start so if anyone has done something similar, has a schematic, or is willing to work with me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to everyone in advance,
Drew
DrewFace

Return to Electronics newbies