Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Resistor is useless....

Enquire about part equivalents and difficult-to-find parts here. This is the forum to discuss everything about electronic parts and components.

Moderator: pebe

Resistor is useless....

Postby dapr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 am

..to misquote the Borg.
Images indicate the fault but the problem I have is identifying this beast. The colour codes look like Brown, Black, Grey with a Gold tolerance.
My colour perception's is not perfect but I've shown this to a number of people and they all say the same colours. But the third colour should be the multiplier, if my understanding is correct, and grey doesn't appear as a multiplier in the charts I've looked at. A Maplin chap used an app on his phone that suggested it was a 1 Giga Ohm device, (1000 Mega Ohm) that seems pretty big to me. About the same as a block of wood! :)
Could it really be this size? The resistor comes from the pcb on a washing machine.
Any help with the identity of this thing would be appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
resistor1.jpg
resistor1.jpg (501.18 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
resistor2.jpg
resistor2.jpg (410.24 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
dapr

Re: Resistor is useless....

Postby pebe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:51 pm

It is a wirewound resistor. The broken wires end in small blobs which indicates that the wire has melted.

It is almost certain that the grey band was originally black until it overheated. In which case the value was originally 10 ohms.
But don't replace it until you have found the fault that caused the burnout.
pebe

Postby dapr » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks for the response pebe, I was thinking along the lines of wire wound- seeing it is wound with wire- but the Maplin's guys were so adamant that it wasn't that I was having doubts. I have seen a pcb with the resistor intact, the colour codes too, and the multiplier is Brown, well on the other board it is. The appearance and part numbers of the two boards are identical.

So that gets me as far as a 100 ohm, wire wound resistor. Any suggestions for working out the power rating? There isn't any indication I can see from the pcb and looking at RS Components website using the dimensions of this resistor -not a guaranteed way I know- I can't see it being over 3 Watt maximum, perhaps more like 1 Watt.

As to what caused it to blow, well?? There is nothing obvious on the pcb apart from a few dodgy looking solder joints which I've remade. I'll probably replace the resistor, when I feel comfortable about the power rating, and try it and see. The fault isn't an obvious one like the heater element, pump or motor as these all check out OK.

Thanks again for your help.
dapr

Postby pebe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:02 pm

In spite of what the sales people at Maplins said, I think you are correct in assuming 100ohms. It’s a bit difficult to know what colour the grey band started at. I assumed it was black, but it could well have been brown.

Power rating depends on physical size, but they run much hotter than lower powered ‘normal’ resistors. This site will give you some idea – round or square won’t make much difference.

http://www.resistorsonline.com/wire-wound-resistor.html

It would be interesting to see the circuit to suggest a possible fault.
pebe

Return to Electronic Parts forum