Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

3 axis button, looking for part

Enquire about part equivalents and difficult-to-find parts here. This is the forum to discuss everything about electronic parts and components.

Moderator: pebe

3 axis button, looking for part

Postby pawel.panasewicz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi,

Problem overview:

I want to create keyboard with custom keypads. Switches should be pressure and angel sensitive - they should be sensitive in 3 axes. Switch should provide information about level of incllination. If I push the button for half distance the electronics should notice that. If I release button in some distance electronics should notice that as well. The same should apply to angels inclination.
Attachment explains how it should work.

I've spent few days looking those parts but no I've not found any interesting results. The best candidate I've found has very short vertical travel of shaft (about 0.1 mm) and is quite expensive. [url="http://www.alps.com/WebObjects/catalog.woa/E/HTML/MultiControl/Switch/SKRH/SKRH_list.html"]Here[/url] is the llink of this part: http://www.alps.com/WebObjects/catalog.woa/E/HTML/MultiControl/Switch/SKRH/SKRH_list.html

Something like mechanical computer keyboard switch but pressure sensitive will be more suitable for my DIY project.

Please find diagram of mechanical cherry keypad:

Question:
What I am asking for is information if such 3 axis swiches exists and where I can find them? On the other hand, if they not exist, who can design and manufacture them?

BTW, I am not looking for joysticks like in gamepads, because it is to expensive, to big and to accurate.

I appreciate you any help.

Paweł
Attachments
joy.PNG
joy.PNG (49.94 KiB) Viewed 8954 times
pawel.panasewicz

Re: 3 axis button, looking for part

Postby pebe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:52 pm

I don't know of any cheap ready-made switches, but if your keyboard is a one-off and you are prepared to make the switches by hand, then you could glue a short spring vertically to the top cap of a standard push switch. You could then arrange it so that if you moved the spring sideways it could make contact with 4 contacts spaced in a ring around it.
pebe

Return to Electronic Parts forum