Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

infrared sensors / detectors

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

infrared sensors / detectors

Postby ezzo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi, I need help by someone who is very knowledgeable with infrared sensors / detectors etc. I have bought a sleep mask that can detect when a person is in REM sleep (dreaming) The sleep mask has a small circuit board inside with an infrared detector that detects eye movementthroughout the night.

When the infrared detector picks up a lot of eyeball movement it then knows the person is dreaming and will flash 2 bright LED lights at the closed eyes allowing the dreamer to know when they are dreaming. The device is acurate and does what it says 'on the tin' Anyway, my issues are as follows. I am concerned that all night i have a electronic sensor constantly monitoring my eye for movement.

The reason this is a concern is that it could damage the eye / long term problems etc. Im no expert but having infrared detector / device 1mm from the eye all night could be dangerous?

This is a passage from their website ........... "The REM-Dreamer uses infrared sensors to detect when you are in REM (dreaming) sleep. At that point the REM-Dreamer gives you sound and light cues (beeps and flashing lights) to remind you that you are dreaming. Thus, external world stimuli are transferred to the world of your dreams, and it becomes easy to achieve lucidity"

Please take a look at their website to get full details on this device, thanks you

RemDreamer description - http://remdreamer.com/index.php
Rem dreamer photos - http://remdreamer.com/rem-dreamer_pro.php Thank you Terry
ezzo

Re: infrared sensors / detectors

Postby pebe » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:28 am

There will be no problem with the IR sensor. Being warm, your body is radiating IR waves all the time, and the sensor is only picking up that radiation

What would concern me is the light that the device radiates toward your eye while you are asleep. If your brain can sense that light through your closed eyelids, then how strong is that light? Could it be a problem if you woke up and your eyelids opened?

The maker's sales blurb seems pretty thin on the ground with detail - just hazy statements.
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help