Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Polarity switch with on/off on same circuit

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Polarity switch with on/off on same circuit

Postby dfullmer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Ok, I realize that title doesn't make much sense, so let me expound. This is what I am working on and what I need.

I have a Lutron motion sensor switch to sense when someone enters a room and will activate the circuit. What I need to happen is for some LED lights to come on as well as three linear actuators to activate. The catch is, when the sensor reads no activity for a programmed time (the Lutron sensor has the timer function built in) and opens the circuit, I need not only the lights to turn off but also to switch polarity, and supply power to, the actuators to get them to travel the other direction. I am a novice with circuitry, so I understand principles, but I can get lost in some of the lingo, so bear with me as I try to describe what I currently have.

I have the 120v line coming to the motion sensor switch, then splitting off to the 12v power supply/transformer for the LED lights and to the 12v power supply/transformer for the three actuators.Obviously, the lights are working fine with the simple "on/off" function of the sensor. The actuators have built-in stops on full extension/retraction conditions. What I need is a way to supply power to the actuators constantly, and when the Lutron sensor closes it's circuit, to switch polarity to the three actuators. Then, when the sensor re-opens, for polarity to switch back to idle state.

I tried to sketch this thing out and it looks like I'll need one "always on" 120v supply to the p/s for the three actuators and the 120v Lutron switch to the LEDs and to an H-bridge or other means of switching the polarity for the three 12v leads to the actuators. I think. Help, advice, suggestions?

Thanks!
dfullmer

Return to Electronic Circuits Help