Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Controlling Voltage and Current

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Controlling Voltage and Current

Postby Plmrguest » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:31 am

I am trying to control voltage range from 1.5 to 34 V using LM338 voltage regulator with 1000u capacitor at the input 430u capacitor ; at the output with potentiometer @ the adjustment terminal.

I have 37v and around 5 Amps current at the Vout but when i try to reduce the voltage using potentiometer,resistor 120 ohms burns out. Please suggest me how to control and get constant Voltage & Current.
Plmrguest

Re: Controlling Voltage and Current

Postby Relayer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:31 am

Please suggest me how to control and get constant Voltage & Current.

Hello Plmrguest,
Can you please put up a picture of YOUR schematic and how you wired it up.
Regards,
Relayer
Relayer

Postby bwetman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:07 am

Hello,
Using voltage regulating device like (BJT & FET) we can control the voltage and current.
PCB Repair Tools - Rework Stencils, & SMT Stencils on Soldertools
bwetman

Postby pebe » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Plmrguest wrote:I am trying to control voltage range from 1.5 to 34 V using LM338 voltage regulator with 1000u capacitor at the input 430u capacitor ; at the output with potentiometer @ the adjustment terminal.

I have 37v and around 5 Amps current at the Vout but when i try to reduce the voltage using potentiometer,resistor 120 ohms burns out. Please suggest me how to control and get constant Voltage & Current.

Forget the LM338 series regulator. What you need is a switched mode buck converter like this one. It's easier to use and much more efficient.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Buck-Step- ... XQ3kNTgqYl
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help