Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Split Voltage for Driver IC & Backlight

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Split Voltage for Driver IC & Backlight

Postby AGS » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:08 am

Let me start out by saying that I know very little about electronics.

I have an LCD module that displays time/temp and has a backlight. The backlight requires 3V whereas the driver IC only requires 1.5V. The power source is 2xAA batteries. There are 4 pins - 1&2 for backlight and 3&4 for IC. What are my options to connect the backlight and driver IC to the power source so that they both function properly? What's the most efficient option?

The backlight works when connecting 3V to pins 1, 2, 3, 4 but the time/temp is stuck on full display.

The time/temp display works when connecting 1.5V to pins 1&2 or 3&4 but backlight doesn't work.

Connected 3V to pins 1&2 and a separate 1xAA battery to pins 3&4 - backlight worked, time/temp stuck on full display, and 1xAA battery popped.
AGS

Re: Split Voltage for Driver IC & Backlight

Postby Relayer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:32 am

Hello AGS,
Click on the link below:

http://i.imgur.com/ipofocc.jpg

A resistive voltage divider is crude, but should be adequate for what you need.
If you find that the back-light is a tad weak or not lighting, then change the value of the resistors to say 4k7. But make sure you change both, as they MUST be of the same value. i.e. 4k7 and 4k7.
An active voltage divider would be much better, but since you're using such low voltages, it wouldn't work.
I hope the above helps.
Regards,
Relayer
Relayer

Re: Split Voltage for Driver IC & Backlight

Postby pebe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:39 am

AGS, can you provide a link to the module?
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help