Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Need some help with an H-Bridge

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Need some help with an H-Bridge

Postby Seabottom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:50 pm

For a LEGO project I'm working on, I have some motors that draw too much power to be properly powered by my NXT unit.
To fix this I wanted to build an H-bridge to put in-between each motor and the NXT.

The output signal from the NXT is 9 volts which I want to use as the PWM signal
The motors require a 12 volts source which I want to connect to a wall outlet for a steady power supply.

Sometime ago, I had this schematic supplied to me and I simplified it a bit. I was told that I should calculate the resistor values myself but as I don't know how the formula goes I just went and got some 1k and 10k resistors.

I put all the stuff on a breadboard and nothing worked. Measuring where the power was didnt' help. I think the transistors might not be working as I'm sure I connected them the right way around.
I did however put a + on input 1 and a - on input 2 and later I found out that transistors don't like negative voltage or something.

This was because I want to not only go forwards but also backwards with the motors. The PWM signal just inverts the + and - signal. I do not know how to achieve this, but I thought maybe adding some diodes to make the power run in only one direction, but then again I don't know where I would put them if I also needed to ground the setup and since ground changes the wire it runs in when the motor is running the other way, I just don't know.

TL;DR Need help making a PWM controller for a motor that will run both ways using the same input for forwards and backwards.
Seabottom

Re: Need some help with an H-Bridge

Postby pebe » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Are you are using FETs for the transistors? Can you tell us their type?

The PWM is straightforward, but how do you propose to reverse motor direction - can you incorporate a single pole C/O switch?
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help