Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

4066/Joystick

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

4066/Joystick

Postby scopeman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:30 pm

Hello All,

New to the site and tried to do some reading on the 4066 but cant figure out, applying voltages to the in/out pins, or at least understand its detail specs!

Attached are (2) diagrams, The red one is a CCD port in my robotic telescope, that ports primary function is for the use of an optional "guide scope" camera, which I've used over the years, it plugs into the CCD port via an RJ12 plug, mainly these guide cameras have 4 relays that tell the scope to manually move N,S,E,W for more accuracy tracking on a "guide star"

The other diagram is my joystick that I would like to plug into the port via the RJ12 plug connector/cable to manually move the scope. I've read that applying 5v or low as 3v+/-? to the 4066 would work. I found the perfect hand controller hobby box that has a place to insert 2 AA's into it. I have tried the 2 AA's on the scope (only getting 2.7v out of the AA's) and it didn't work.
I don't want to keep putting random voltages in this port and screw something up, mainly my mother board! :shock:

Anyone know if i'm on the right track?
Need more voltage?

Any help or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Attachments
aaaa.gif
aaaa.gif (9.84 KiB) Viewed 13524 times
CCD_Port.gif
CCD_Port.gif (18.6 KiB) Viewed 13524 times
scopeman

Re: 4066/Joystick

Postby pebe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:32 am

You say that the 'guide scope' camera plugs into the CCD port to give N,S,E,W movement. Yet the CCD connections are labelled Up, Down, Left, Right, that accord more with the joystick.

Also the battery in the top circuit has its positive grounded, so each switching action of the joystick puts a negative voltage on its output pin.

Can you clarity, please? Also, what is the function of the guide switch?
pebe

Postby scopeman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks Pebe for chiming in on this,

Sorry the N,S,E,W is the same as N=Up S=dwn which is not an issue, I can wire or rotate the joystick to make the scope perform or match up to the stick and direction.

The 9v in the diagram is internal voltage coming from the power panel (see pic) this is where it gets hairy for me.(I do have the schematic of that panel if needed).The red schematic is of that CCD port on that panel.
If you are referring to the camera as the guide switch, its overrides the scopes tracking / periodic error correction (PEC) Also I have 2 pics attached of a basic guide camera/installed. I cant find a schematic of these but I read that the sensor chip tells 4 relays to close contacts/ with maybe some voltage to the modular connector that plugs in the panel port.

I hope this helps, I will try and locate a schematic of a guide camera.
Attachments
oag_r0.jpg
oag_r0.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 13497 times
201xt.jpg
201xt.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 13497 times
powerinlet-aw.jpg
powerinlet-aw.jpg (82.11 KiB) Viewed 13497 times
scopeman

Postby pebe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:09 pm

The red one is a CCD port in my robotic telescope, that ports primary function is for the use of an optional "guide scope" camera

I am still confused because a 'port' is a multi-terminal connection, and the red diagram is a complete circuit with two ports. Am I right in assuming that the red diagram is a discrete circuit that plugs into the CCD port on the Meade Pictor Autoguider? And the joystick connects to the 5 pin ll Port on the LH side?

The 'guide switch' I referred to is the switch shown at the centre of the red diagram and marked 'on/off guide switch (guiding is on)'.

It would help if we knew what is on the other side of the CCD port, ie. do the 4066 outputs have to go high or low to turn on the relays?
pebe

Postby scopeman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:50 pm

The red diagram is all the electronics in the panel, note the 6 pins on right, they are the pins (RJ12) on the front of the panel.
Below I found an old post and just leaned that it will only move the scope at tracking speed, which is very slow. slower than I need for what I intended to do with a joystick.
The hand controller that comes with the scope has flush N,S,E,W flat buttons that are very hard to used to make necessary 2 star alignment when you fist power up. the joystick would make an initial alignment process much easier. So unless I can get the scope to move faster it would be a useless concept at this point.
Again, thanks for you help.

Re: [M]: Meade LX200 CCD Port
[month-index] [thread-index] [prev] [next] [thread-prev]
Subject: Re: [M]: Meade LX200 CCD Port
Date: Sat Mar 01 05:38:21 1997
Brendan Downs wrote:
> is there a way of generating signals to the LX200 CCD port
> without using the ST-7? If so what voltage will I need to use? What pins
> refer to what directions?
>
The CCD port accepts simple contact closures (shorts) between the pins
on the connector. I dont have the info handy but the pin out for the
connector is is your owners manual. For ease of access you should
probably make up a cable with the correct phone plug on one end and open
wires on the other but for quick tests you cant hurt anything by simply
poking a small wire in the socket and short out the pins. You simply
short the common pin to the pin for the direction of choice. Dont apply
any voltages to the pins - you will likely damage the input.
P.S. > no matter what your keypad slew speed is set for, the CCD input
only moves the scope at the guide speed so it will only ever speed the
drive up or stop it. When it stops it is most easily detected by ear.
Dave Sage
View index by [date] [author] [subject]
Previous Message:: Re: [M]: Field de-rotator
Next Message:: Re: [M]: Field de-rotator
Previous message in thread:: [M]: Meade LX200 CCD Port
scopeman

Postby pebe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:50 pm

I have Googled for Meade Pictor CD Autoguider Model 210XT without much success, so I still cannot see how the whole setup functions. Each link opens a can of worms using buzzwords that I am not familiar with. What descriptions I have seen are quite nebulous. I wish I were familiar with telescope controllers, but I am not.

Perhaps some other member can make a contribution.

But I can easily show you how to interface a joystick with the llport on the LH side in order to control the outputs of the 4066 and the CCD port, if that is any help.
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help