Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

120 ac circuit help

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

120 ac circuit help

Postby Waynelytle » Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 am

The circuit I need help with has a terminal strip with four connections. [120] [ N ] [ 3 ] [ 4]
3 and 4 represent a normally open contact. I need a way to have red light come on when that contact is open and a green light when it is closed. It's not a hard issue but for me it gets complicated when I cannot have more than 16-24volts ac on that contact. It can have 120 on ot but just long enough to power the lights. I have 2 120v ac LEDs.

Thank you Wayne !!
Waynelytle

Re: 120 ac circuit help

Postby KMoffett » Mon May 18, 2015 11:13 pm

I cannot have more than 16-24volts ac on that contact. It can have 120 on ot but just long enough to power the lights.

This doesn't make sense. You can't 'have' and 'not have' 120VAC on the contact.

Ken
KMoffett

Postby Waynelytle » Tue May 19, 2015 3:12 am

Thanks for the response ken. Please be patient with me I am new to this. Let me try to better explain it. I am building a tester for a system. I will try to lay it out without a diagram if you need one I can upload one tomorrow.

The full terminal terminal strip is laid out like this.

120 N -| |- pilot C T Ground
[ 1 ][2][3] [4][ 5 ] [6][7][ 8 ]

16volts goes down the pilot wire of a cable thru a C T then to a diode that's hooked to a motor frame tied into the ground wire. That 16 volts after coming out of the diode is rectified to a small amount of dc which is sent down the ground. Once 5 and 8 make connection the N/O contact closes. I need a light wired into this circuit that when 3 & 4 are open I get a red light and when 3&4 are closed you get a green light. The issue I have is when I power my lights i end up with 120 volts on 3 & 4. I have put a jumper between 2 & 3 for a neutral and a coil hooked to 1 and 4 which bring in a relay to turn the light from red to green. Problem is I always end up with 120 on 3 & 4 expect when the light is green. I am confused as to why I have 120 when its red but not when its green on how I have it wired. Thank you for any advice!!
Waynelytle

Postby KMoffett » Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am

Nope, can't visualize it. What is a C T?

Ken
KMoffett

Return to Electronic Circuits Help