Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Would like to convert a DPDT switch...help!

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Would like to convert a DPDT switch...help!

Postby swedespeed7 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:59 am

Hi guys,

I'm kind of poking around in the dark here, but hopefully someone can help me out. Here's the deal:

I have a DPDT rocker momentary switch that controls a 12V motor. Press and hold the switch one direction, the motor opens a door until it's all the way open. Vice versa, door closes until all the way closed. Opening/closing takes about 3 seconds.

If the switch is kept depressed in either direction, the motor will continue to receive power and would most likely burn out eventually.

My goal is to convert the momentary rocker switch to a single push-button switch. For example, the switch is pushed and the motor operates until the door is all the way open. Press it again, motor closes the door all the way.

I'd like to accomplish this without having to modify the motor or door.

Is there a way to use relays to accomplish this? Something else? I'm somewhat familiar with the standard 5-pin relay but that's it.

If this is possible, what type of switch should I use?

Thank you in advance!
swedespeed7

Re: Would like to convert a DPDT switch...help!

Postby KMoffett » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Automatic timing to control the opening and closing of the door is not reliable, as in holding the rocker switch too long. The easiest method is to add a controller with limit switches to detect the open and closed positions. However, that means mechanically modifying the door/frame/latch...something. Another less invasive way is to monitor the door motor's current for a stall condition at full ope=n and full closed.

Ken
KMoffett

Postby swedespeed7 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Another less invasive way is to monitor the door motor's current for a stall condition at full ope=n and full closed.

That's exactly what I'd like to do. How can I accomplish this?
swedespeed7

Postby KMoffett » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Can you post a schematic of what you have now?

Ken
KMoffett

Postby swedespeed7 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:31 pm

You know what, don't worry about it. I think I may have found a solution. Thanks!
swedespeed7

Postby KMoffett » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Care to share?

Ken
KMoffett

Return to Electronic Circuits Help