Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Increasing frequency pulse generator

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Increasing frequency pulse generator

Postby jeremycondie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi,

I have built a pulse wave circuit (pulses of equal duration) using a quad nand gate :D . I can set the duration and pulse length and at the moment I have five flashes before the LED output remains on.

I would prefer to have variable pulse widths whose frequency starts slowly and then steadily increases before the LED remains on. e.g. pulllllllse, pulllse, pulse, on ......

Any help is much appreciated.
jeremycondie

Re: Increasing frequency pulse generator

Postby KMoffett » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:48 am

Can you post your circuit schematic?

Ken
KMoffett

Postby jeremycondie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:38 pm

I need a circuit to create this output similar to this. The pulse widths do not need to be exact ....

Thanks.
Attachments
pulse.png
pulse.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 13021 times
jeremycondie

Postby KMoffett » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Your original circuit sounds like a circuit I designed and posted on a forum many years ago, for a flashing third brake light. (attached) Now, with the complexity you want, I would just program an 8-pin microcontroller like a PICAXE 08M2.

Ken
BrakeLight01.gif
BrakeLight01.gif (21.36 KiB) Viewed 13018 times
KMoffett

Postby jeremycondie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks. I have already used this exact circuit but trouble is the pulse lengths are equal up to the moment the light turns on permanently.

I would like to change the circuit associated with R1, R2, R3, C1, U1 so the pulses increase in frequency as per my diagram above.
jeremycondie

Postby KMoffett » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:41 pm

U1 (Pins 1/2/3) is configured as a monostable multivibrator that puts out "one" pulse with a width set by R1, R2, R3, and C1. Its output NAND'ed with U1(Pins11/12/13) switches the fixed frequency/width pulses from the astable oscillator U1( Pins 4/5/6 and 7/8/9) briefly ON to the Output (Q1 and Q2). I don't see an easy way at the moment to ramp the pulse width of the astable during the time the monostable is high.

Ken
KMoffett

Postby pebe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:25 pm

I think it may be possible to make a circuit using 4017 outputs to feed power to several timing resistors of an oscillator. How accurate do the pulse widths need to be and what sort of output load does it have to drive?
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help