Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Discharge protection for Lithium Cells

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Discharge protection for Lithium Cells

Postby legostar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:20 am

Hi I'm quite new to electronics but I'm trying to learn.

I want to create a discharge protection for my lithium cells using a IRL3714 MOSFET.

The MOSFET in this circuit open up at around 1.5V, is there anyway to make it open up at 2.5-3.2V instead.

I've tried connecting a zener diode in series to the gate, I found out that a ZPD2.7 zener raised it to open up at around 3.7V. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it, or how to find the right zener diode for 2.5-3.2V

Guess you could also do a resistor voltage divider, but guess that would not turn off when the MOSFET is closed and keep draining the battery.

So I'm a bit clueless how to drop the voltage the correct way, without continuous battery drain.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

/Henrik

legostar

Re: Discharge protection for Lithium Cells

Postby pebe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:54 pm

I use lithium 18650 'protected' cells that have a PCB containing a protection circuit fitted to the base of each cell. They prevent damage to the cell from any form of misuse. You can buy the separate PCBs on Ebay, here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-pcs-PCB-for ... 2344051d8d

Check it out because they may be of use to you.

Edit: BTW, is the battery switched and should the battery voltage be 3.7V; not 3V?
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help