Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Static Electricity Generator

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Static Electricity Generator

Postby rino757 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:02 pm

So a long time ago I found this video: [MEDIA=youtube]GGx83KppSCQ[/MEDIA]
Last year I tried making it but as I couldn't afford the "negative ion generator",
Link: http://www.amazing1.com/products/negati ... utput.html[1]
I bought a voltage booster instead
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boost-Step-up-P ... 258c1a29fa[2]
which gave me decent results. I hooked it up to a switch and two AA batteries for an initial 3 volts.
I got some nice arcs between the leads and my friends and I shocked the heck out of each other. It was really fun. The issue is that to get shocked, we had to complete the circuit directly by either having one person touch both ends or having a couple people link hands and have the people at the end of the chain touch the separate ends of wires. No noticeable static charge was actually built on anyone.
What is shown in the video, and what I want is for one wire to go to 'ground' and another to go directly onto a body, building a charge on the person, insulated from the ground by their shoes. This way, a person could deliver a shock to anything without the object/person having direct contact with the wires, just the body of the person hooked up to the device.
I'm wondering if anyone could let me know what I did wrong with my first attempt and what I should do/buy to have it function like that in the video, actually building a charge. Maybe the voltage and amperage were wrong?
Details like the correct power source, generator (voltage booster, anion generator, etc.), voltages, amperages and positioning of wires would be super helpful! Sorry for writing so much!
Now, since I know, based on my experience asking other places, that many people think what I'm doing is dangerous/stupid and I could get someone hurt, and that I don't know what I'm doing, I just have a few things to say (not to sound rude): -I am building this under some supervision, not totally on my own. My dad builds custom professional microscopes and really knows his stuff. He wouldn't let me do anything that could seriously hurt anyone. -I do not plan on and will not "go around shocking people". As with last year, I will always fully disclose what I am about to do, what I can do and obtain permission before touching something that isn't mine. -I won't kill anyone, seriously.. Last year people were insinuating that my 7KV contraption was extremely dangerous. To that I say and know: not unless I try to start a fire or unless someone with a heart condition touches it.
I hope that's enough to get people off my back about how "stupid" I am for "playing with things I don't understand".
I really appreciate any help because while my dad is very knowledgeable, he's also very busy there's no way I could ask him to spend his time brainstorming with me.
rino757

Re: Static Electricity Generator

Postby pebe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:22 pm

The blurb from the advertiser says if gives only 10microamps and is not dangerous to animals or humans. I very much doubt it. I see the advertiser says ‘May not ship to United Kingdom’. UK laws on the importation of such things are very tight, so that may tell you something.

You really should take note of the advice you have been given by others. The device you have bought is for killing insects – not just giving them a shock. The advertiser's description and note are totally inadequate and give no details about safety precautions that are needed when it is used.

You only have to look at the brightness of the arc to realise a lot of power is being expended – a motor spark is nothing like as bright as that yet touching a plug lead would give you a nasty bite. You may have been satisfied that the shocks you received were tolerable, but how long before someone with a weak heart tries it and suffers a heart attack.

It is potentially lethal! My advice is to dump it before you kill someone!
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help