Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Help with circuit for DIY Infrared Facetracking rig?

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Help with circuit for DIY Infrared Facetracking rig?

Postby kwmcken » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:05 am

I'm making a facetracking rig for gaming (Similar to a TrackIR) using infrared LEDs. I put together my circuit to test before I soldered it all together, and lo and behold the LEDs are not lighting.

This is what the circuit looks like outside it's casing, can anyone give me some insight as to what I did wrong?
http://i.imgur.com/M7EjFR6.jpg
Also- I checked to see if the LEDs were lighting with a phone camera, so not being able to see the light is not the issue.
kwmcken

Re: Help with circuit for DIY Infrared Facetracking rig?

Postby pebe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:46 am

The centre LED is wired the wrong way round. The flat on the side of the base indicates its cathode wire and should be connected to the negative pole of the battery.
pebe

Postby kwmcken » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 pm

pebe wrote:The centre LED is wired the wrong way round. The flat on the side of the base indicates its cathode wire and should be connected to the negative pole of the battery.

Thank you! However, wouldn't the others still light up even if the middle one was backwards?
kwmcken

Postby pebe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Maybe, but it's difficult to see from your pic whether the other two are wired correctly.
I cannot make out the color code of the resistors, either. What value are they?

Can you measure the battery voltage, and the voltage across each of the IR LEDs? That will help to find out what the problem is.
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help