Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

ROTARY ENCODER interfaced to LED up/down counter module

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

ROTARY ENCODER interfaced to LED up/down counter module

Postby vk5po_John » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:37 am

Hi from southern Australia guys!
Here is my "hopeful application"
A Chinese made rotary encoder ( open collector A/B o/puts) attached to a rotating shaft (on a roller inductor in an antenna tuning unit) then interfaced via a LS 7183 QUADRATURE CLOCK CONVERTER IC that in turn ( I was hoping!!!) pulses a "Chinese" LED up / down counter module. (0-9999). The LED counter module "saves" the last known number when powered down, so very handy!
This circuit will not work. RBias was set at 10 Mohms, but the pulses appear to be TOO SHORT to register. Another friend suggested sourcing a leading edge type decoder.
The counter works a treat when I hit the u/d inputs with a pulse gen.
The 7183 must not be suitable for what I was told it would do.
The encoder is a 360 pulses per rev. So many applications I could use it on, aside from the one listed above. for instance, a VERY ACCURATE angle indicator as 1 pulse can be seen on a led counter as 1 degree. (for adjusting the elevation of my 50Mhz antennas to point accurately at the moon for bouncing radio waves back to earth.)
I have been pulling my hair out for a year or more now, so I would appreciate ANY ADVICE... even another way to achieve what I wish to do.
Over to some advice please.
Thanks.
John
vk5po_John

Re: ROTARY ENCODER interfaced to LED up/down counter module

Postby pebe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:10 pm

The open circuit collector is an NPN transistor. So you could stretch the pulse from the LS7183 like this.

Connect a resistor from one of the outputs of the chip to drive a PNP transistor, with its emitter to V+. Use a 2.2nF cap in parallel with a suitable resistor as the PNP’s collector load to ground. Repeat for the other output.

When the NPN switches on, the PNP will pass enough current to charge the 2.2nF cap fully. When the NPN switches off, the cap will discharge relatively slowly through the parallel resistor – so stretching the duration of the pulse. The resistor value will depend on the input resistance of the counter.

The PNP will reverse the polarity of the pulse; it probably won’t be a problem, but if it is then add another NPN to invert again.
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help