Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

CAN YOU PLUG 2 POWER SUPPLY UNITS ON 1 PC ???

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

CAN YOU PLUG 2 POWER SUPPLY UNITS ON 1 PC ???

Postby Ferden » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 am

Hi,

I have a pc that crashes quite often: the image freezes, if it was playing sound then the last frequency vibes forever, commands don't respond, and the only solution is reboot. I asked around and people told me maybe it's because of insufficient power supply, and after a check, it turns out the PSU output is in fact low for the hardware.
A new PSU is too expensive, but I also have a spare one. I always salvage everything, but is quite frustrating, 'cause you can have every piece of hardware you want, every object sold nowadays is designed to fail, be obsolete, be incompatible after few years.
As you know, no motherboard has 2 set of plugs for 2 PSU, and the motherboard is the one who manages the PSU: turns it on, off, and the like. But what happens if I simply duplicate the atx pinouts and plug some hardware on one PSU, and some in the other? Can it work or there are some problems I don't see?

Thank you
Ferden

Return to Electronic Circuits Help