Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Temp control of DC fan

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Temp control of DC fan

Postby sargan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Just on the off-chance someone may have done this before.
My Comms cabinet get quite warm in summer, mainly from PSU and the ADSL modem & Ethernet switch.
Maybe if I use a variable speed DC brushless fan (as in PC cases) and a tenp sensor I could get a simple fan that kicks in above a set temp and varies it's speed dependent of how hot it is above threshold.

Seen one such cct:
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2001/12 ... ntroller/1
(option 3 )

Anybody got anything easier.
Read that using a MIC502 might be simpler but have no experience of that device.
sargan

Re: Temp control of DC fan

Postby KMoffett » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:35 pm

The variable-speed, brushless-DC fans I'm familiar with have 4 speeds: off/low/medium/high. They have two leads for power and two leads that select the three speeds. Brushless DC fan speeds are controlled by internal oscillators, not supply voltage. Changing supply voltages will affect the speeds, but that is not how they are designed. Straight DC fans do work with PWM/supply voltage.

Ken
KMoffett

Re: Temp control of DC fan

Postby sargan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:17 pm

KMoffett wrote:The variable-speed, brushless-DC fans I'm familiar with have 4 speeds: off/low/medium/high. They have two leads for power and two leads that select the three speeds. Brushless DC fan speeds are controlled by internal oscillators, not supply voltage. Changing supply voltages will affect the speeds, but that is not how they are designed. Straight DC fans do work with PWM/supply voltage.

Ken

2 leads fans are controlled by supply voltage, as are 3 lead fans .... (3rd lead gives tacho output) ..... so intended using a 2 lead fan.
sargan

Return to Electronic Circuits Help